1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

F. Brakes locked up

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:13 PM
peckens
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F. Brakes locked up

So I am driving down the road today and i noticed it felt like I was trying to stop on ice and snow. As I approach my driveway i roll down my window and i smell something burning. Then I get out and noticed smoke comming from both of my front brakes especially the front DS. I immediatly took the wheel off and start screaming and cussing, lol. I played with my brakes for awhile first by pumping them over and over, then kicking them, then beating them with a hammer, followed by more screaming and cussing. I put the wheel back on and tried driving back and forth while pumping the brakes. All of a sudden i herd a pop and my calipers released and i drove around and everything was fine. I took the wheel back off and now i can rotate the tire by hand like i should. The pad is still slightly making contact with the rotor though.

My guess so far is that water or air may have gotten into the system.

My truck after 3 years just decided it hates me this week. First flat tire, then squeeling rad fan, then squeeling drive shaft, then squeeling drum brakes, now locking brakes. All since friday.

Last edited by peckens; 08-20-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Air bubbles typically cause the brakes not to engage. Also, if there were a way for air or water to get in, the fluid would all drain out. However just to be sure you should bleed the brakes. If that doesnt work I would guess the master cylinder stuck and may need to be replaced.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 PM
codydakota
Captain

Sounds like the master to me, I had this happen to me on my sundance, unfortunately I was no where near home so i had to drive it or walk home, i drove home, and, well the pads and the rotors had to be replaced along with the master

Old 08-21-2008, 07:48 PM
peckens
Professional

I also thought the master cylinder was stuck but i will be bleeding the brakes anyway ill bet they never have.

Quick Reply: F. Brakes locked up