1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

speed sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 10:03 PM
1shotjake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed sensor

Today my truck threw a code 15 (speed sensor) and I noticed I had a little trouble shifting and accelerating. Not like power loss some of the other guys have been having (and I had a few months ago) but would rather go up to 2500, no higher, and wouldn't shift. I let off and then it shifts up and then no prob accelerating.

My question is, is it possible that the speed sensor could cause this (or does this only control the speedo?)

Can i just pull the sensor and clean it off? or is it most likely just shot? This doesn't happen often, but has every once and a while.

It's fairly cheap, but it adds up when you have to replace a sensor ever 2 weeks or so... at 50 bux a piece that can add up after a while.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a litte more info would be good. Like year, engine, 4wd. Im assuming that its pre 96 which the speed sensor is only for the speedometor. There is 2 problems. 1 is your speed sensor. Make sure its bolted down tight and clean. Check all wires. The other would be your tranny shift cable. (Downshift cable, TV cable). This cable can make shifts sooner or slower. Check out http://www.v8performance.com/tipsandtricks.htm#TVCable for info on how to properly adjust. If it is 96 then the tranny is electronic shift controled. So the sensor could be your problem.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:24 PM
1shotjake
Professional

92 5.2l 4x4 and thanks for the link, I never thought to check that, I'll do that tomorrow and see if it helps.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 AM
williamgeorge
Default Re:speed sensor

would this work in a similar way with a coil that detects a magnet fixed to the moving wheel? I want to use a reed switch like a bike speedometer, but I don't know if it can switch on and off at
--------------------------
williamgeorge
Buzz Marketing

Quick Reply: speed sensor