1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:27 PM
lnt118621
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start

I am starting to think that this truck was a bad investment! Any way this is how it started. yesterday I was driving to NAPA and as i was crossing the railroad tracks my truck just shut down no warning or hesitation. After sitting a wile it started up fine and ran. today it was fine up to like 4:30 was running errands and the truck does it again. Let it set a wile and it started drive it 2 miles to tire rama and it died again. this time when i started it seemed to start fine but as soon as i put the truck into gear it dies.

Dodge says ignition pickup-ignition module-or fuel pump
My mechanic says over the phone crankshaft sensor or ignition module

I am supposed to drive this hunk of crap from Kalispell Montana to mesa Arizona this weekend
Help an to boot i have like no money to spend on this

Old 09-30-2008, 09:55 PM
1shotjake
Professional

Have you ran the codes?

In my case it was the Crank sensor. You can check the fuel pump and its relay. Just listen for it to engage when the ignition is turned on. If you swap the relay with a good one and check the same thing, then you know it works (so long as the truck still isn't starting) If you have a fuel pressure gauge (picked mine up at the local Harbor Freight for 9 bux) and check the pressure, if i remember the pressure at the rail should be about 30-35psi? that would be in the haynes manual. you can also check the actual line (say around the fuel filter or something) provided it has the correct fittings.

I'm not sure how to test the ignition module.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:48 PM
codydakota
Captain

My '92 had this issue and it turned out to be the Auto Shut Down circuit, run the codes and let us know what you get

Old 10-02-2008, 11:10 PM
lnt118621

it was the magnetic pickup in the distributor.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start