1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

92' Dakota problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:03 PM
swampbug1979
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' Dakota problems

I've read through quite a few threads so I will make this short and sweet. I was driving home a few weeks ago and the engine shut off. After that it would not start. When I turned the key the fuel pump was working. So I got it towed home and then replaced the coil, dist cap, rotor, plugs, wires. The starter cranks, but thats it. I did the helper thing had someone bump the starter and the rotor did not move, so then i looked at the peep hole in the timing cover and the gear didnt move, so i removed the cover and examined the belt....it looks intact, so I need help please. By the way first time poster, long time reader. Thanks in advance for w/e help you can offer.

BTW this is a 4 cyl engine. And the check engine light has been on since i bought it 6 years ago.

Last edited by swampbug1979; 11-01-2008 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:22 PM
fireman2828
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the pulleys on front of engine turn while turning over? If they turn and timing is intact, then timing chain has to be turning. If rotor not turning, that could be a busted pin or somethin on distributor, worse case, busted cam. Mark position of rotor and distributor with marker and pull it out. check to see if bottom of distributor (looks like big flat head screwdriver) is not broken off, then see if bottom turns with top. If all that is good then look down at cam. Don't turn vehicle over with distributor out because it will make it hard to line it all back up to put it in. Thats where I would start.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
chaxmaster
Angry 92 dodge dakota

The exact thing happened to me. I was driving at all at once the engine stopped running. The engine would crank but no spark. I replaced the distributer pickup assembly, distributer rotor, sparkplug wires, coil, checked the PCM, starter relay, autoshutdown relay, checked power to the PCM an engine fuses. I get a no crank signal to the PCM by checking the check engine light. Turn the ignition switch on and off, and on...the check engine light will flash, I got code 12, when all codes are done it will flash 55. I am currently planning to take apart the dash and see if I can find an open circuit.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
FFEMTC

Timing belt has shredded teeth, not broken. It may look intact, but if the pulleys aren't turning, the belt is gone. It's not the distributor pickup if the rotor is not turning.

Quick Reply: 92' Dakota problems