1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

stereo swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
dodgey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stereo swap

so i had a stock player in my dodge it kept fading in and out on the left side only because the right one was blown. i went to the yard and got the stock infinity edition out of a 93 LE it seemed to work really well when they tested it so i put that in, it was extremely easy. 10 screws or so and a couple of clips and done but then out of no where it would just turn off or if you turn it up to loud it would pulsate or cut-out alot it had a mind of its own. so I went and grabbed some speakers out of the house, I took the drivers side door panel off which was a bitch since I later found out when doing the passenger side that the speaker grill comes right off without taking the panel off (gun to head) switched the speakers, the new LE radio still sucked. i switched to the original stock one and it worked great no fading in or out and it actually had some bass with the little 5-1/4 speakers so now i just gotta get some cheapo speakers from the pawn shop and all will be fine really had no point to this story just thought id share. i want to become a frequent on here lol i might start a project thread.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool Im glad you got it. Just remember your dealing with 15 year old radio. If you do have more problems you could get a new radio from walmart for $30 or so. They are easy to install. They also have cheep speakers but decent quality for stock.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got some sony xplode 4 way speakers in mine and it sounds great, people talk alot of crap about them but they have always worked really well for me. i have a kenwood head unit i got for free out of a junk jeep. and a 10" kicker comp sub off ebay for 40 dollars. it all sounds really good together for a cheap sound system. so i would reccomend some decent speakers and if that does not fix it a head unit, like crazy said, the old head unit could not be putting a clear signal out and distorting when the volume goes up. had the same problem in my sisters 91 ranger, the head unit was bad and the speakers......

Old 11-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Littlejon126
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dodgey I'm in a similar boat and actually signed on to see if anyone else was swapping stereos out.

I don't mean to steal your thread but I do need some advise as well. My truck is sans stereo, and there's nothing but each individual wire stick out; no harness. Can I purchase a harness to use and put them in that - and install that harness into the head unit? Or should I take it to a pro and have them do it?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 PM
dodgey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEEEAAAAAHHHH! haha couldnt resist....

Go on ebay they have harnesses you can buy for super cheap. I will get you a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=350083288467

There is a combo, its a dash kit and a wiring harness set-up for an 87-2000 dakota. That is extremly cheap. Also if you have a stock one even though its broke, sometimes there is a sticker on the HU that shows what wire goes to what.

I am going to go to Pawn America and just get some junk speakers and rock those for a while..... When I had a trailblazer I had an Alpine MRD-M1005 amp and a 12" Alpine Type X in it and it choked me out. In my summer vehicle the plan is to have two Type X's going. Summer vehicle is a Bagged GMC Sonoma.

In my older vehicles I had Xplod stuff through and through, people can say what they want but I love their stuff. You can abuse it and it lasts. I really put that stuff through hell and it always bumped. Right now I have an Xplod sub in my room that I got off of EBAY for like 17$ and it was brand new in the box, and it RIPS. I will go Alpine first but deep down I love the sony lol

Quick Reply: stereo swap