1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 dakota running poorly

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 07:08 PM
95dak318
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 95 dakota running poorly

I had a similar problem like that once, loss of power, the truck would run rough around 1800-2100 rpms, and fuel guage was always acting funny.
turned out two of my injectors were clogged, so I had them cleaned, i also had the fuel modual replaced as well now the 318 runs great.

Old 03-04-2006, 04:48 PM
bcbill

I have the same problem. Feels like its running out of gas at about 3/8 tank.

Could it possibly be the fuel pickup not sitting deep enough in the tank? Can this be adjusted?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Locomotion
Amateur

Bill,

I can't tell if anything can be adjusted of not. I recently got a (hopefully good) used fuel pump/sender assembly out of a wrecked Dakota. It screws into the top of the fuel tank. The assembly is basically like 2 plastic cylinders with the bottom one rising into or dropping out of the top section, depending on fuel level. The pick-up is, naturally, at the bottom. I haven't examined it too closely yet to see if I can guess at why the problem starts at around a 1/2 tank of fuel.

The only 2 options of getting at it is removing the truck bed for access to the top, or running the tank low and dropping it from the bottom. Not sure when I'll get around to getting the original out.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:16 PM
bcbill

ORIGINAL: Locomotion

Bill,

I can't tell if anything can be adjusted of not. I recently got a (hopefully good) used fuel pump/sender assembly out of a wrecked Dakota. It screws into the top of the fuel tank. The assembly is basically like 2 plastic cylinders with the bottom one rising into or dropping out of the top section, depending on fuel level. The pick-up is, naturally, at the bottom. I haven't examined it too closely yet to see if I can guess at why the problem starts at around a 1/2 tank of fuel.

The only 2 options of getting at it is removing the truck bed for access to the top, or running the tank low and dropping it from the bottom. Not sure when I'll get around to getting the original out.

Would you be able to post a picture of the pump assembly?

Old 04-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Locomotion
Amateur

I don't have a digital camera. But here is a pic link from an on-line parts store.

Dakota fuel pump.

They have a "return" and "returnless" system version. Don't know what I have in my '95 or what I got out of the '96. But the OEM version I pulled didn't have that "air filter" looking filter on the bottom. It just has a flat, little filter pillow (about 2 1/2" square) at the bottom between 2 "feet".

There is a large ring-nut, kind of like is found on Mason Jars used for home canning/preserving, which screws down over the lip you see at the top. The top 1/2 cylinder part on the one I got is also more "enclosed" than what's shown in the photo. So the sending unit isn't visible until the bottom is 1/2-way down. The bottom has 4" of travel.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is perhaps it has a bind at 1/2 tank and below that doesn't fully submerge the filter-pillow, but still slowly drops to keep the truck barely running.

Quick Reply: 95 dakota running poorly