1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
freakinoldguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Question

Hi folks,

I've got a slight conundrum. I own an 88 Dakota, 3.9 ltre 4X4 with the standard 5 speed transmission.

Ever since I've owned the vehicle, I've had a problem with the fuel system. It got so bad I replaced the fuel pump and did a complete tuneup.

The problem is that every now and then when I shut off the vehicle and go to start the vehicle again it'll start but acts like it's starved for gas and will either die or catch and rev high after a few seconds.

Like I said I've replace the fuel pump and filter which helped it when running but did nothing for the starting problem. This isn't a regular occurance but is intermittent and only does it when the vehicle is warm.

Anybody have any idea what could be causing it. ???????????????

Thanks in advance

F.O.G.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
wink2873
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well next time it happens take off the air hat and have someone try to start the truck. if you're not getting fuel for some reason you wont see any fuel spraying out of the two throttle body-mounted injectors. if you're seeing fuel spray out of there but it still doesnt start, you've got a different problem.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If you hold the gas peddle down a bit does it die? Is the only problem when your idleing? It also may be the IAC Idle Air Control motor. These tend to seize up alot on our trucks.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 PM
freakinoldguy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
If you hold the gas peddle down a bit does it die? Is the only problem when your idleing? It also may be the IAC Idle Air Control motor. These tend to seize up alot on our trucks.
No it doesn't die but it doesn't rev any higher and then whether the pedal is down or not it suddenly catches, revs and runs okay.

I replaced the IAC, EGR and Fuel Pressure Regulator awhile ago and it didn't help.

Somehow I'm leaning towards an electrical problem but who knows. It only seems to do it when the vehicle is warm, never when it's been sitting for a long period.

Thanks

F.O.G.

Quick Reply: Fuel Question