1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1991 issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:17 AM
paulbug
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 issues

Got a used 1991 3.9 6cyl 2wd Dakota in October. Replaced the driver door (hinge broken, missing glass), muffler (it was the original), fan clutch drive, front shocks, and did some cleanin.
This beaut cleans up pretty well! $450--not bad.

Questions:
I've got dash lights on: Antilock, Check Eng, Wash/wipe, maint. req'd, and brake (which dims slightly when e brake is released).
I've read many of the helpful posts, so I think I'm up to speed on figuring out what's wrong, except for a couple. Any tips appreciated.

My main thing, though, is the speedometer not working. I'll get a code from the ignition flipping on-off system. Is there any other reason for a speedo not working besides either a spring or something messed up inside the dash, or a speed sensor?

Also, my washers and wipers seem to work just fine. No pump out or anything. Why would the light be on?

I'm taking the issues one at a time--eventually they'll all go away. Right now a buddy is fixing an oil leak, and I'll get it back in a week or two. Driving the mom-in-law's Accord right now. Doesn't haul quite as well.

More later as the questions come up.
Paul

Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by paulbug
Got a used 1991 3.9 6cyl 2wd Dakota in October. Replaced the driver door (hinge broken, missing glass), muffler (it was the original), fan clutch drive, front shocks, and did some cleanin.
This beaut cleans up pretty well! $450--not bad.

Questions:
I've got dash lights on: Antilock, Check Eng, Wash/wipe, maint. req'd, and brake (which dims slightly when e brake is released).
I've read many of the helpful posts, so I think I'm up to speed on figuring out what's wrong, except for a couple. Any tips appreciated.

My main thing, though, is the speedometer not working. I'll get a code from the ignition flipping on-off system. Is there any other reason for a speedo not working besides either a spring or something messed up inside the dash, or a speed sensor?

Also, my washers and wipers seem to work just fine. No pump out or anything. Why would the light be on?

I'm taking the issues one at a time--eventually they'll all go away. Right now a buddy is fixing an oil leak, and I'll get it back in a week or two. Driving the mom-in-law's Accord right now. Doesn't haul quite as well.

More later as the questions come up.
Paul
The reason behind the speedo is basically one of the reasons you suggested, or a broken cable, or someone unhooked it... either way you are on the right track.

The washer light is on because either you are close to empty on fluid , or you have a faulty depth gauge in the tank...

Hope this helps, just ask away on other problems or what not... we will help to the best that we can

Old 12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
paulbug
Default Depth Gauge

I'll get to the other problems eventually (I'm a patient person), but a faulty depth gauge seems easy. My tank is full, so must be the depth gauge.
Is it something I can just fix myself? What is it, a float?
Is it located just outside the fluid tank?
I have a Chilton manual at home, so I could crack that open, but I doubt it would help me on this issue.
Any more info would be great, or a website.
Thanks a ton.
Paul

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 AM
fishlessman
Professional

ground wire corrosion might hav something to do with it, i always check those first when somethin electrical isnt working. ebay always has the 1991 dakota service manuals, good to have on hand

Old 12-10-2008, 12:22 PM
paulbug
Default Vss

Thanks...I'll check the wires.
Another question--I called 3 local auto parts stores. One gave me $140 for the VSS, one $123 or so, and the last one (Kragen) gave me $40. Why so cheap?
Is it like everything else--I should go with the good one? Or are there cheaper aftermarket ones?
Ebay had em for I think $71
Paul

Old 12-10-2008, 12:44 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah check the connections first, I should have said that... if it turns out to be the guage it sits inside the tank right with the motor, they usually run $50-60, and or you could grab one from the junk yard for cheap beings that its just to gauge the washer fluid level

hmmm I found one from Autozone, with a 2 yr warranty for $67.99 http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip,.../selectZip.htm
I have always had good luck with parts from Autozone... its kinda preference, and luck of the draw, sometimes the more expensive parts break quicker than the cheap ones...

www.rockauto.com lists is at $98.79, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...1087488k945385

www.mopar.biz lists it for $105.34, not sure on warranty

Napa lists it for $139.00, not sure on warranty

I would def stop and grap a manual somewhere, they are relatively cheap, $15-20, its a def lifesaver, with some of the finer details... good luck man

Last edited by lghtngblt02; 12-10-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:59 PM
paulbug
Default Lights goin off!

Well, my lights are going off one by one.
Today I took apart my washer fluid depth float and found that it was so old that it doesn't float the plastic part it's in. It's just worn out. I got some styrofoam from a package and cut it into a cylinder the same size as the original material, stuck it in and reconnected everything--voila, score one for Mickey Mouse!!! The styrofoam should last years I would think.

My speedo issue: Took my speed sensor off and cleaned it up, reinstalled it (it was loose, so I tighted it down better) still no speedo.
So I took apart my dash down to the needle (actually not too hard!) and found that the needle was stuck on the plastic beyond the zero mark. How did it get there? Who knows. I released it and tested everything--voila! One point for ingenuity. The trucks aren't complicated--you just gotta get in there and figure out what's goin on on the inside.

I checked my codes by cycling the ignition, and got 12 and 55. One of the main cables near the carb was disconnected, and the clip broken off, so I connected and ziptagged it. I suppose that code will go away soon.

My "Maint. required" light wasn't on--it was just spillover from the washer light. So that's solved.

My last two lights are
1. Parking Brake and
2. Anti Lock

I need advice on how to proceed for those two. I did check to be sure the metal connector is engaged (or disengaged) when you press the p brake--it seems to be working fine.
The light dims when I release the p brake, so that's something.

I have no clue on the AntiLock light. I'll check the Chilton I have. I did notice a bit of leakage last week out of the master cylinder, but not today. Odd. Maybe my fluid fill caps were just loose. I did check the level and tighten them down. I'll search the forum...
Advice appreciated.
Paul

Quick Reply: 1991 issues