1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Drum brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:04 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drum brake adjustment

Hey guys. I just had a question that I wanted to get everyones opinion on. In the past when working on drum brakes, I have always set the adjustment screw tight against the brake shoes then put the drum back on forgoing the final adjustment to tighten the shoes against the drum. Now, Some people tell me that you HAVE to adjust the shoes against the drum, but thats the purpose of the SELF adjusting mechanism isnt it? Otherwise, you could adjust it too tight and cause problems later. Additionally, I have never have any issues with drum brakes wearing down unevenly in that past. What do you do in this situation?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM
codydakota
Captain

If the way you've done it has worked, I wouldn't change a thing. I let the self-adjusters do the work and they haven't failed me

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

I would agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. However, some people are correct in what they are telling you. The way I was taught to properly adjust drum brakes was to adjust them all the way out then back them off one or two clicks so the drum spins without hanging up. The only other thing I would suggest, is since nobody fits the shoes to the cut drums anymore, would be to take a file to the new shoes and knock off the edges a little so they form better to the fresh cut drum.

Quick Reply: Drum brake adjustment