1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:10 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Bushings?

So, I've got the front drivers side all torn apart. I'm in the process of changing: tie-rods, ball joints, and CV joints. (On both sides obviously, but one side at a time)
Anyways, my plan is to take off the control arms to use my hydraulic press to press in/out the ball joints. But, I've not "set this in stone," yet (Might still use the good old "special tool"). Should I do this and go ahead and replace the bushings? (Upper and lower control arm)
Also, from what little I have looked into it, aftermarket non-rubber bushings are limited to 2WD only. They do use the same part number on 2/4WD for the upper control arm bushings, though.

Should I replace the sway bar bushings in the process?
Basically, I want to take care of anything that should be taken care of while I'm affording myself the time out of comission, and since I'm gonna have everything torn out anyways.

I have learned that replacing CV joints on this doesn't seem like too big of a pain. Much harder time getting the steering knuckle free of the lower ball joint!

Any suggestions/links to good bushings/etc are welcome!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 PM
codydakota
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, i would go ahead and change out the bushings, like you said, why not, you've got it torn apart

Old 12-20-2008, 12:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya I would say replace them all. If you got the money for all the parts that is. I need to change the tie rod ends and Idler arm.

Old 12-20-2008, 02:03 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
If you got the money for all the parts that is.
I've got credit cards, haha. Already have too much into the truck, not gonna stop thowing money at it now! (Besides, it's good for the economy, right?)

So, apparently none of the auto parts stores have the lower control arm bushings for the 4WD. Just the 2WD. Already had the OEM part numbers on hand, but when I went to the stealership, the parts dept. was closed.
I got MOOG bushings for the upper control arm and the sway bar. Any ideas where I can get the lower bushings - besides the dealership?

Last edited by dodgerules86; 12-20-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not sure where o get those, i got the polygraphite ones from pst, but i am 2wd. i would do the swaybar bushings too while you are at it, and the only thing i woud put in there is moog ball joints/tie rod wise! you can rent a balljoint hanging tool from advance auto and it has the socket to put on an impact for the upper ball joint.

Quick Reply: New Bushings?