1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

newbie with a few questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 08:32 PM
mikeinoregon
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie with a few questions.....

Hey everybody,

I joined up not too long ago, and have learned a lot off of this forum, so far!

I've got a '91 Dakota, picked it up this past summer as a project...67,000 original miles, and its a decent runner overall. The only problem I have really had so far was that the timing chain was making a LOT of noise, so I swapped in a double-roller unit. Oh, and the radiator....

I'm curious about some interior stuff....It's a pretty basic model, only thing I've done is put bucket seats in it(need to finish bolting them in!!), and swapped the door speakers for some Infinity units. Has anybody used Dynamat, or a similar product? If so, how hard was it to install, and did it help, etc.?

Wheels....Mine has the factory steelies. I was thinking of stepping up to some 17's, or 18's. Any work to get 'em to fit, and tire sizes? I dont plan on lowering, at least not in the near future.

Sorry for the long first post, and if I've asked anything thats been beat to death!!

Thanks
-Mike

Old 01-01-2009, 11:40 AM
codydakota
Captain

I'm not sure on the matting, never used it myself, not really a sound quality type of person, but as for the wheels, I've never went after market or anything like that, but i have swapped in wheels off a Durango onto a 1st gen Dakota and for the rear axle it wasn't a problem at all. For the front, I had to use spacers so that the wheels would clear the brake hardware and the control arms, backspacing was different on the 2nd gen 6 lug, which brings me to my point, watch the backspacing when you decide on what you want to run, and also make sure they're going to work lock to lock on the steering, I've got 31's on my '95 and they rub at full lock ever so slightly on the frame turning left and turning right, if the tires or in your case the total diameter were any bigger, the airdam would be history (on stock setup, 4x4). You have a 2wd and I don't think you'd be able to fit 31's on yours. The Durango rims I had on my 2wd were 16's, If i went to an 18 the tire would have to be closer to a low profile type. I hope that makes sense. It basically comes down to what type of tire you want to run, how wide you want the wheel to be, and the backspacing. I'm sure if you went to a reputable tire/wheel dealer they'd be able to help you better than I ever could. Hope this helps in at least some small way

Old 01-01-2009, 11:34 PM
sprocket1200
Default seats

HI, I was thinking of getting new seats for our 200K 94 model. what seats did you find that fit and why did you pick the buckets that you have installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:05 PM
mikeinoregon
Amateur

I actually got my buckets out of a '94 Dakota...guy was swapping interiors, so the color was wrong for him, but seats in awesome condition! Only thing i haven't found yet is a center console that I like....

I've been kind of looking for either some 17'' R/T rims, or some factory 15's.....no luck yet!

Last edited by mikeinoregon; 01-04-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: forgot to finish what i was typing!

Quick Reply: newbie with a few questions.....