1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Putting a plow on a 96 dakota

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 08:20 PM
hoerter2158
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting a plow on a 96 dakota

If i put a plow on my 1996 dakota what will the plow mostly wear first. Its got brand new tires on it. Im sure the front end will have to be beefed up depending on the size plow i put on it. Also i know ball joints go, and some others?

I am buying a western unimount side steel mount. What exactly does it mean by side steel mount?

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM
codydakota
Captain

I have no idea what side steel mount means, but I do know that you can lessen the effects of wear on the front end parts by adding weight to the back of the truck, the plow setup will significantly drop the front of the truck, but with weight in the back, it will take somoe of the pressure off the front

Old 01-07-2009, 01:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guessing by steel side mount they meen just the mount nothing else that attaches. Ask them for a pic. Or if its close go check it out.

From factory some dakotas came with snow plows. So I would thing everything should hold up good. If you realy wanted the Factory servace manual has a good section just for the plow. When I have a chance I will check mine to see if it has any good info for you.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:34 AM
chunk

I've got an 88 Dakota,3.9 liter,4X4, 5 speed. I put a 6 foot 6 inch Western Unimount plow on it back in 1995. Other than cranking up the torsion bars on the front to compensate for the weight of the plow, I've done no other "mods". I carry two 5 gallons pails of sand in the back corners of the box against the tailgate for added traction ( it comes in handy when you get stuck...and you will )
Been plowing every year for 13 years and haven't touched a ball joint or tie rod yet. I did have to change a front wheel bearing last year.
The trick is to take the plow off when your not plowing...don't drive around with it hanging off the front of your truck.
I'll also add, Western makes an asskicking plow. It takes about two minutes to disconnect, and usually about five minutes to hook up. I've had no issues with mine and would highly recommend a Western to anyone looking to buy one.
Hope this helps.

Jake

Old 01-14-2009, 01:09 AM
xxxxrhodesxxxx
Rookie

i wounder if a chevy s10 do wat we do...??? **** DODGE

DAKOTAS FOR LIFE 1ST GEN BABY WOOT WOOT

Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Dakota fan

I've had a min mount on my truck for about two years now I love it. Just wondering if anyone gave a thought about putting some air shocks no the front to compensate for the added weight. I'm tired of cranking the bars every winter. I have a few property that I have to plow if I don't crack the torsion bars I have to keep the plow high to prevent it from bottoming it out but it obstructs the air flow and causes the truck to run hot. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Putting a plow on a 96 dakota