1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

high beam clicking on and off

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM
fishlessman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high beam clicking on and off

about into 20 minutes drive with high beams on the lights start clicking on and off like they are hooked up to the flasher switch. all the lights off then on, then off, then on. been wet both times. stop truck turn off lights, they work fine again but i leave the high beam off. any idea where to look. 89 dak 4x4. not good, i drive 2 hours in the dark on the way to work every monday

Old 09-06-2011, 10:23 AM
festerw
Veteran

I'd put money on the headlight switch.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya the head light switch has a circuit breaker build in. Ether the switch is bad or the water caused the wiring to short which is causing the breaker to open and close. From factory they should have added in relays to keep the power demand on the switch down, which that circuit breaker could get overloaded easily.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
fishlessman
Professional

i changed that out a few years ago, maybe 5 or 6, the old one literally dripped molten metal down onto my foot. the new one looked to be designed differently, maybe it is that switch again. its odd though, it switches back and forth like its on a flasher, perfect timing. easier to try that than digging into the column looking for the high beam switch.

Quick Reply: high beam clicking on and off