1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Recommendation on trans cooler and additional items for plenum replace

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Recommendation on trans cooler and additional items for plenum replace

My Dad is flying out to my brother this week to help my brother replace the plenum gasket on his 93 Dakota, 5.2L 2WD truck. Gasket was only $23! Guess it is labor intensive huh? Anyways, I told them that while they got two people there they might as well install the transmission cooler and get it out of the way. Does anyone have a recommendation on type and size to install in this truck? Or where the best place to get one from might be?

And a question about the plenum. He is taking on oil in his intake, looked inside and he said he can see a small puddle of oil, and he is losing a lot of oil but doesn't seem to know where, so I think we have nailed down that it is the plenum. While they are ripping apart the engine to get to it, what, if anything, should also be replaced on the way? I figure while they are going that deep, maybe there are a few other sensors or things of that nature that would be good to replace now. Thanks.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya it does sound like its the plenum gasket. Make sure you clean it up completely and replace the intake manifold gaskets and replace any hoses that may be weak. Expectully the small intake to water pump hose. Thermostat and spark plugs would be good too. As for a trans cooler I would suggest anything you can get at pepboys or any auto parts stores. Make sure you securit it correctly. Change all fuilds, engine oil, trans oil (and filter), coolent, might as well do brake fuild.

Quick Reply: Recommendation on trans cooler and additional items for plenum replace