1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Universal joint questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 PM
firebutterfly07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal joint questions

Hey guys,

Question, on the drive shaft universal joints that are stock/factory on a 92 dak, has any one had any trouble getting them off. My mechanic buddy and I have had some issues getting them off for replacements. Tell me what you know.

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On my '96, I had problems.
After taking the clamps off (the two clamps, with two bolts each, on the rear axle yoke), I took a prying device and put it between the rear of the u-joint and the rear axle yoke and just went to town with a hammer.
Over time, the metal just rusts/corrodes together.

You could also try tapping/banging directly on the u-joint with the hammer to get it to free up from the yoke.

The service manual says to replace the strap (clamp) and bolts. I would recommend to replace at least the bolts.
At the very least, use a thread-locking compound when reinstalling them. My friend has had these bolts loosen up and destroy u-joints two times on two differant Jeeps. (Actually, one of those times it was total loss of a driveshaft).

Old 02-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
At the very least, use a thread-locking compound when reinstalling them. My friend has had these bolts loosen up and destroy u-joints two times on two differant Jeeps. (Actually, one of those times it was total loss of a driveshaft).
LOL! One of my bolts somehow unscrewed, while I was on the freeway 65MPH and all I felt was a big thud. Then I see my drive shaft rolling down the freeway. Thank god I have 4wd I was able to drive home using the front axle, and at freeway speeds. It was crazy I had to replace my transfer case tail housing the rear end yoke. The drive shaft actually could have been reused but it was dented up, so I replaced it too. So the purpose to this story is get new and quality hardware and use locktight like said above.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:28 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Of all the stuff that has gone wrong with my truck, I did not use new hardware, and did not use Lock-Tite when reinstalling my driveshaft, and I had no problems for the 1,200 miles I drove it. But I recommend doing it the correct way.

Quick Reply: Universal joint questions