1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wierd issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 AM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd issue

I have a strange issue with my 91 dakota 4x4 ext. cab. I changed the battery today, went to get gas and the truck wouldnt shut off. It wasnt dieseling, it just wouldnt shut off with the key. Then it died on me at the pump, and acted like the battery was dead, which i traced to a loose positive cable. I fixed that, went home, turned the ignition off, and it just sat there running. I had to remove the shutdown relay to get it to stall, but the indicators on the dash were still on, so i unhooked the negative to the battery, and they finally went out. I went in the house and warmed up a little (i live in central NY, and it was nasty out today, so i was only able to do little bits here and there with it), and then i went out and messed with it some. A service man at the dodge dealer said it could be a bad ignition switch, so i went out and messed with that with no luck. I started the truck, and then unhooked the ignition switch completely, and it still didnt shut off. One thing i did notice today driving it home, was that it would act like it would completely lose electrical power for a couple seconds then it would come back on and run fine, but the more i drove it the worse it got. I had the alternator checked at two different places and they said it wasnt that. I also noticed that with the battery hooked up, but without it running, the throttle would move in and out like the fast idle control was being activated and then deactivated without the ignition even hooked up, but it wouldnt do it repeatedly, just every once in awhile. Someone else mentioned maybe a bad ecm, so i was wondering if anyone knew how to check it without paying dodge a fortune to do it. If you guys have any ideas on what to look for, let me know. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 AM
codydakota
Captain

Could be one of the following plus many many more:
fuel shut-off system not operating preoperly
EGR system not functioning properly
Sticky valves (highly doubt this one, but possible none the less)
Intake air leak
Incorrect spark plug heat range
Ignition timing incorrect
Idle speed too high

Check for trouble codes as well, it might detect a bad sensor or electrical component that is causing the continual running issue. It has nothing to do with the charging system (battery, voltage regulator, alternator) I can tell you that.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:49 PM
TheChickWithTheTruck

Make sure any extra ring terminals where connected to the correct battery post

Old 02-21-2009, 01:29 PM
biggman100
Rookie

We think it may have fried the ECM. When it kept cutting out on me yesterday, i found that the original battery cable ends were replaced with the type that you just strip the wire and put it under the bar on the terminal end and tighten up the two bolts, and that the 3 wires that were connected to the replacement end were loose and not making good contact. The bolts on the end were tight but the wires were loose, and i had to keep messing with them to keep the truck running. i went today and got a better replacement end, and soldered the wires to the end i got today, but i think it was too late because it didnt change anything.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:14 PM
biggman100
Rookie

New update. I went out a little while ago and tried to start it, but when i hooked up the battery, the indicator lights on the dash came on without the ignition hooked up, but after i hooked the ignition switch back up and turned the key on the indicator lights went out, but it still started and then immediately died. It did that 3 times, and then nothing worked at all. I thought maybe the battery died so i replaced it with one that i know is fully charged, and nothing seems to want to work.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:01 PM
biggman100
Rookie
Default NEW NEW Update

I just found that half the main engine wiring harness has been burnt through from where it rubbed on the inner fender. Instead of trying to repair the bad wires, i am looking for a new harness. What i need to know is which truck will match mine for the harness from where it bolts to the firewall and runs from there through the power distribution box and to the ECM. I plan on just getting a harness from a salvage yard, because the dealers cant get it new. Here is the specs on my truck, 1991 dakota ext. cab 4x4 with a 3.9l v-6, A500 automatic and shift on the floor transfer case. It has throttle body fuel injection, with cruise control. It has rear ABS, but no air bags. Anything else you need to know just ask, and ill try to find the answer. Thanx again for any help you guys can give me.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM
biggman100
Rookie

I am also looking for a transmission pan for an A500 automatic if anyone has one they wish to part with. I have tried the local salvage yards, but most of them around here punch holes in them to drain them, and the dealers around here say they cant get one, and the aftermarket aluminum one is just too expensive for me right now.

Quick Reply: Wierd issue