1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

installed cd player. now no interior lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 02:16 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default installed cd player. now no interior lights

ok I got a CD player fo christmas since someone stole my last one and I just installed it today.

I had to buy the mounting kit since they broke my dash to hell. atleast they left me my wireing kit. anyways, I got every thing hooked up but I couldnt find my constant power wire(yellow). at first I just hooked it up with the red wire, but it wouldnt save anything when I shut the truck off. so when I had my test light in the dash looking for a constant power wire with the key off. I must have hit a wrong wire cause it made a spark and blew the fuse for the radio. so I replaced the fuse and then my interior lights would not work. the fuse is goodand the bulbs are good and I still have dash lights. I checked to see if there was any power getting to the light and there wasnt.

so I just hooked the yellow wire from the deck to my switch I have for my ignitionI just put it to the constant power side. I'm gonna look into it more tomorrow when its daylight out.

dodgerules do you have a wireing diagram for the interior lights?

Old 12-27-2006, 04:02 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: installed cd player. now no interior lights

The attached wiring diagram is from 1990, the only differance might be the fuses. (sorry for the size, its two pages conjoined as one)
The constant power wire should be pink. It looks like fuse #14 could have blown causing your interior lights to not work, since that is what provides power to the glove box light, the dome/cargo light, and a few other things.
The red wire should be hot anytime the ignition is on.
The black/yellow wire should be hot anytime the parking lights or headlights are on.
The orange wires voltage will vary (tied in with the dash lights).

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/02BAC68FBEDF4E258257662DA71D9AF4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-27-2006, 12:24 PM
Skoodles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds to me like your using the wrong ground wire. i have heard of people doing this using say like a brown wire for ground instead wich would cause it pop fuse for dash lights and also running tail lights. make sure you still got tail light. not talking about brake but the running tails.

Old 12-27-2006, 01:41 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

ok I think I know where I went wrong.

I did notice that the pink wire did have constant power. but now that I blew the fuse, theres no power to that anymore. so when the lil bastards took my old cd player, they must have pulled the yellow wire right out of the socket cause I noticed there was an empty one a the end that would have hooked up to the pink wire.

so I'll look at all the fuses again. I dont know if this would make a difference, but when my dad used to own this truck it kept on blowing fues. so he replaced like all of them with 20-30amp fuses. I dont know what the origionals are suposed to be. but you wouldnt think that it would make that much of a difference.

I've been haveing bad luck lately. I replaced the rack, then the pump goes. tried to jump the starter and blew something electrical up. fix the exhaust then accidentaly cut the trannycooler line in the process. intalled a radio, blew something up.

I'll go look at all the stuff abit later and see what I blew. thanks for the help.

and I do have all my dash lights/running lights. also for my ground wire (black) I just hooked it up to the ground strap.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:30 AM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

so it was fuse 14. all the stuff is wore off my fuse pannel so it was hard to tell what fuse is for what. so now everything works good.

thanks for the help.

Old 12-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jonnymagnum

fix the exhaust then accidentaly cut the trannycooler line in the process.
Ouch brother!

Old 12-28-2006, 09:12 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion

well I broke a stud on the exhaust manifold flange. and when I was cutting it off with a die grinder I accidentaly took a chunk out of the tranny cooler line. I dont know why they would route it soo damn close to the exhaust anyways.

well I ended up just splicing in a 4" rubber hose. its pretty close to the exhaust. I hope it doesnt get too hot. but thats all I had at the time. if I find its getting too hot then I will just run a new line from the tranny to the rad.

and no one will be stealing my new deck now. I bolted it to the dash with some of that metal straping stuff. the only way they can steal it is if they cut the straping. im also gonna hook up a lil blinking LED on the dash.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:35 AM
the dakota

i had the same problem and just ran fresh wirefor my radio my wire that caused the spark also burnt up and i had to replace it because i thought is was just the fuse also but the wire was old and burnt up i used the door chime for my constant and remote power hope this helps

Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Hey dodgerules86 I have a 95 dakota that recently developed the same issue. My interior lights went out along with my radio. I've replaced all the bulbs in the cab (dome light at the rear of the cab, courtesy light on passenger side kick panel, glovebox and the ash tray) so I know the bulbs are now good. I checked and replaced anyway the 10A fuse for the radio and checked and replaced anyway the 15A for the courtesy lights (fuse #14). Still no interior lights or radio. I have power with the key on at the red wire for the radio but no power at all on the pink wire for constant power. I have checked the fuses under the hood and they all seem to be ok. I've tried to trace the pink wire back to the fuse panel under the dash and keep getting lost. Short of unravellingall those taped up bundles, the best I can find is a 6 wire connector just to the right of the steering column. I tested for continuity and I am getting a reading from the pink wire at the radio pigtail to all six wires at the connector albeit they are differnet readings. I used to be good at finding shorts in auto wiring but cars these days have too many circuits and toys for me [:@]. BTW I have the ENTIRE underside of the dash opened up. Like I said the only thing left is to untape all those trunk lines but I am hoping there is another way. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may offer

Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, here are the wiring diagrams that include the dome light, courtesy lamp (passenger side foot area), ash tray, and cigar lighter lights.
The radio gets juice via (normal size) fuse2 (in the "black box"), which gets juice from (big size) fuse F.

I'm sure it must be one of those fuses, so just double (or triple)check them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/B03336193DA04B929021AD3450E5C43A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/948/601B6E4776AE42CC97BF99CCEED2144D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: installed cd player. now no interior lights