1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Things to watch out for

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:57 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Things to watch out for

Im new to the forum but any ways, I just recently baught a 1987 Dodge Dakota with 127400 miles that seems to be in good running and looking condition, it is an LE edition with the 3.9 V6 with the automatic though its only 2 wheel drive but that dosn't really bother me, but what i want to know is what are the most common things known for going bad or what should i look or listen for to know if somethings going because i want to know so i dont possibly get scrued over, it is a good truck though, ill get some pictures soon if anyone wants to see it,

thanks for the ansers in advance if you have them

Old 02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
codydakota
Captain

transmissions are a big one, as soon as you notice the trans is acting up, get it checked out, take my word for it, it won't go much longer no matter how small the problem seems. And also, the Auto Shut Down relay and/or the splice in the wiring tends to corrode, although this happens more on the '91's and up. keep up on preventative mainitenance, like fluid changes and you should be fine.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:45 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Thanks for the information codydakota and if anyones got anymore information please post it and i got some pictures online of it sitting in the driveway, Heres the front end view
Name:  100_06051.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  145.2 KB
and the back end view
Name:  100_06061.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  192.8 KB
to tell you the truth im personaly not into the hubcaps

Old 03-01-2009, 02:25 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice truck! LOL ya trash those hub caps. If I was you I would get my hammer and smash those stupid spinners to pieces. Even if it was real I would say trash it.

Any plans for it?

Old 03-01-2009, 11:36 AM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Well, for the first I plan to get rid of the hubcaps and either sell them or throw them away (though I woundnt be suprised if some dumbass wanted them on ebay) and i either plan to get another set from the junkyard that looks good on the truck or just leave the wheels its got like they are,but Id like to also get some body work done because its got some miner rust but not to bad (just some bubbling out) and the topper painted to match the dark blue on the top portion of the truck,and Id also would like to possibly get the engine upgraded a good amount because I have read off the internet that these originaly didnt have the most of horsepower though im not sure of all the upgrades that can be done to a carburated V6 so if you know of anything let me know, and let me know how much power it can increase and/or tourque, and we (as in me and my dad) were wondering how this would sound with glasspacks on it, if it would sound good on a carburated 3.9 V6 or not, though some of this may not get done right away because we dont like dealling with some of the colder weather weve been getting but if you or others want, i could possibly get a picture of the engine if youd like or if you need to see it to know for shure of what upgreades can be gotten for it, but thanks anyways for the compliment of it and in advance for any information you or others can give me

Old 03-01-2009, 12:48 PM
kahanabob
Captain

One thing is the wiper (polypropaline) bushings go bad and the result is the wiper linkage falls off. They are avail at the local auto parts only about $5 there are 3 of them. Simple fix, something to do and you don't need them to break while on the road in rain, I know mine did.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:27 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Thanks for the information about the wipers Kahanabob, and for some of the others I got a picture or the engine compartment for ya if anyone wants to see it
Name:  100_0682.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  183.3 KB

Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM
crazy
Rookie
Default things to watch for

well heres some things to watch for :heater fan quits working.. first check the reostat on the firewall for corrosion and clean the terminals and try it again;;keep the rear inner fender wells fairly clean seem to be a spot where rust will eat,,inside the bed if ya don't have a bedliner watch around the seams where the fender humps are ,,another place where once the rust starts it runs rampant and will eat thru to the outside,,;;;trannys i'll second the watch them and change fluid and filters regularly ,,a filter cost under 10 bucks,,fluid is kinda pricy for ATF4 but everybody recommends it over dextron,,,still fluid and a filter now and then sure are cheaper than 500-1500+ for a tranny job and a hell of a lot easier than replaceing the tranny,,paint flaking is something ya get used to with dakotas from the late 80's to mid 90s and at least the primer underneith the flakey paint seems pretty good,,lol,,lol,bad egr valves will make it idel rough and even stall at stopsigns and give ya really poor gas milage,,,,but anything ya own sooner or later things break especially when ya get up in miles ... the motors seem to be one of there better qualitys,,i like the 3.9... and my last dakota was a 89 3.9 5 speed 2wd and had over 200,000 miles on it and still ran like a top and didn't use oil!and is still running today,, temp sensors seem to quit sometimes so if it looks like it's running super cool then check the plug at the sensor may have coroded off..another pretty cheap item to replace,,well theres a list of things i've read and seen first hand,,and mabey they will never happen to you but it's always good to have some ideas of what might happen sooner or later
crazy

Old 03-01-2009, 08:32 PM
kahanabob
Captain

One big one and I am not sure if it was on your year but is on my 90 is that the steering rack rips off the frame. there was a recall years ago and maybe yours was dealt with. Mine ripped completly off the frame i got in just under the wire and the delar fixed it. Required welding additional support to the frame where it bolts on.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
88longbed

Originally Posted by kahanabob
One thing is the wiper (polypropaline) bushings go bad and the result is the wiper linkage falls off. They are avail at the local auto parts only about $5 there are 3 of them. Simple fix, something to do and you don't need them to break while on the road in rain, I know mine did.
are you saying the bushing goes and forces the wiper to disconnect from the wiper blade? or whole the wiper falls off the spindle?

Quick Reply: Things to watch out for