1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck rides "top heavy"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 12:54 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
It may just be me, but you sound confused about what a body lift is. When you do a body lift, you unbolt the entire body from the frame, raise it up and put spacers between it and the frame. Its not something you do to the front, it would be the whole body (cab and bed).
Nope, not just you. I was confused. Thought it wasn't available for 4X4 with ext. cab. No big deal, always good to learn. It will bring up my center of gravity then a little, but I can drop the keys slightly and make up for it a little, and maybe get a little better ride. I will also try the polyurethane bushings on the anti-sway bar.

I think I know where I want to go with this now. I will look into getting myself a body lift and adjust the keys a little lower, then get an alignment and see how I like it.

Not looking to spend the money on a trailmaster lift kit, a little too much for me to put into the truck right now. I do like what you are working on though, it is nice when you have access to the tools.

Last edited by dbilik; 03-19-2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:11 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker

One more thing, do you have any idea how much you lift you have on your truck just from adjusting your keys? I just want to compare and see where you guys are since you are happy with the ride.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its been a long time since I put the keys on it, but I think I raised them up about 2 to 2 1/4 inches. I have it as high as it will go without removing the bump stops, cause they are about 1 mm away from the control arms. I had the bump stops smashed for a while but it was a very rough ride so I backed it off til they were just clear of the control arms.

Attached Thumbnails Truck rides "top heavy"?-bump-stops.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM
fishlessman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just have the origional keys cranked and i think my sport convertible had a body lift new from the company that was installing the rag top for dodge. coil over springs helped mine from swaying in the wind a little, ive had two sets of tires since lifting it a little, each had an alignment done but only the second alignment helped. sometimes it depends if the guy knows what hes doing. ive got free alignments with the new tires and am getting it aligned everyother oil change now. i also have bfgoodride tires with hard sidewalls which i think helps with the swaying

Old 03-19-2009, 02:04 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker

Any ideas on what is the preferred alignment after you raise the truck? I know they will aim for whatever I ask, and they will show me the computer print out before and after.

I am going to lower it to only be 1" lift above stock and take it back for an alignment. This should give me enough clearance for my 31" tires and bring me closer to the stock ride. I will probably switch out my 2" block in the rear for AALs also, or nothing, making the truck close to level from front to back.

Quick Reply: Truck rides "top heavy"?