1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Installing Stereo, no original

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
jlucius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Stereo, no original

Im installing a stereo unit in a 1990 dodge dakota standard cab... Ive already installed speakers and run the lines to where the head unit will eventually be... Now its time to install the head unit, i took out the filler plate where the stock unit wouldve been, and unfortunatly there was no existing bracket, i assume that means i need to run a power cable from the battery to the head unit, however, i need to also wire it to the ignition in order to power it off when the car is not on to avoid draining the battery, i guess my question in a nutshell is what wires do i need to run and where to to install the new unit? there is no harness or anything existing in the car.

thanks.

joe

Old 04-04-2009, 11:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

All the wires are there including direct power from the battery and a power from the ignition switch. Check the FAQ for wiring diagrams.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlucius
there is no harness or anything existing in the car.
its probably there somewhere, it just might have fallen down from not being hooked up to anything. if you dig around in the dash you might find it, aside from that, all you need is a ground, main battery lead, and a switched lead (ignition switch) and the speaker wires. non of the other wires are used for aftermarket decks

Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 AM
jlucius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Final update, the harness was not there. I ended up running all necessary power from the Power window harness that was just hanging out in there. I ended up putting a 200x4 watt kenwood head unit in, 2 sony 5x7's in the back and a kicker comp vt 10" sub and a 1200 watt power bass amp. Ive got everything tuned out real well for a nice full sound. Hopefully soon here im gonna cut out holes in the door panels to drop 5x7's in the bottom front of the doors with a black plate over them, any advice on that please share. Thanks for everything.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlucius
Final update, the harness was not there. I ended up running all necessary power from the Power window harness that was just hanging out in there. I ended up putting a 200x4 watt kenwood head unit in, 2 sony 5x7's in the back and a kicker comp vt 10" sub and a 1200 watt power bass amp. Ive got everything tuned out real well for a nice full sound. Hopefully soon here im gonna cut out holes in the door panels to drop 5x7's in the bottom front of the doors with a black plate over them, any advice on that please share. Thanks for everything.
good job! now you got tunes while you cruise

Quick Reply: Installing Stereo, no original