1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Looking to wire up some lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking to wire up some lights

I have researched wiring diagrams and fuse box layout, and in my truck I have no power windows and I have no fog lights/off road lights (at least not tied into the box). These seem to be the two empty slots I have on my fuse box and I would like to hook up some strobe lights and possibly add some more offroad lights to the box in these two empty slots. Here is my question, can I hook up my positive on the strobe controller box to open slot on the power window fuse? Can I just cut that wire and solder my wire to it? Leaving, of course, the other side that is hooked to the "metal rod" in place? Or will I be messing something up? And since it looks like there is a slot for offroad/fog lights already, and there is a wire exiting my fuse box for them, anyone know where this thing terminates? Is there a capped wire sitting somewhere in my truck just waiting for me to plug into? Thanks for the help. I figure if I can utilize the existing wiring in the truck it will make for a much cleaner job.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually its not that easy. On the fuse box there is a slot for it but no terminals (If yours is not equipped with it from factory). It would take time to get terminals mounted in correctly. Your best bet is an in-line fuse. Most have there own wires and protective case. Most light kits you can buy come with wires, fuse, switch. If you get one with everything you can have it installed in less than an hour, with no hassle.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is the thing, I have metal terminals in there but no lights on the truck. Dont think there ever were. There is actually a green/pink wire running out of the back of the fuse box to the power distribution box under the hood.

While i was in there looking around I also noticed I have no ABS module and no ABS fuse in the power distribution box. My owners manual made it sound like i have front wheel abs. How can I tell if the previous owner just pulled the fuse and module? I noticed they also pulled the buzzer module so that is what made me start wondering.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The owners manual is not vehicle specific. They are made to cover all options available. Rear ABS is standard. So All 93 and up have rear abs. If you have 4 wheel ABS you can look under the hood and see a big square box with lots of brake tubes coming out of it. Make sure you have both sides of the terminals, you may just have one side.

Quick Reply: Looking to wire up some lights