1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rear end pain in the butt!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 01:40 PM
pashadowops
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end pain in the butt!

I have a 95 dakota 5.2 L 4x4. The rear was making strange sounds, almost like a squeaking noise. I checked the back and found the spare tire was a little loose and by moving it that was the sound I heard. Or so I thought. A few days later while driving home the noise got worse all the way home it got louder and louder until I pulled into the driveway and the rear almost seemed to lockup. That was a few weeks ago. I thought perhaps it was bearings so I took the day off today to take a look at it and much to my dismay the bearings are fine. I took the back off of the pumpkin, (ten bolt rear btw) and found some metal shavings in with the gear oil. It looks like the ring and pinion set is bad. I called for a price on replacing the ring and pinion and was given a price of anywhere from $350 - $450 depending on the gear ratio. Yikes!! First of all I simply don't have that kind of $$$ right now, especially for a 14yr old 197,000 mile having truck. I called the local salvage yard and they said they had a few dakotas in the yard but weren't sure what year they were and what was left on them. Now for my question. I'm probably going to go salvage yard cause it's only $70 for the entire rear whithout the brake drums. That said, how critical is it that I get the exact rear that I am pulling out? Is the gear ration really that critical? What different years can i put into the 95? I don't know how to weld and can't afford to have someone do the work for me so, the durango thing is out of the question. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:01 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is very critical you get the same gear ratio... you probably have 3.55, but you can call your local dodge dealership with your vin and they can tell you for sure.

If you can't weld, that limits the rear ends you can choose from. The spring perches on the 2wd is on the bottom of the axle housing, and on the 4x4 they are on top, so since you have a 4x4, you have to go with a 4x4 axle.

As far as years go, the frame widths on the dakotas are the same through the second generation at least, so you can go up to about '04 or so. It doesn't matter if you get the same rear end either. I have a chrysler 9.25 inch (12 bolt) out of an '01. I had to weld new perches on it because it came out of a 2wd, but if you find one out of a 4x4 it should bolt right up without any extra work.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:29 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Thanks so much for the prompt response. I will save that data for future use. I have great news. My wife came home and helped me dig a little deeper into my situation. I had her hold one side of the axle still while I rotated the other to get a better look at the "damage". The ring and pinion are fine. The metal shavings appear to be coming from the bearings that have a little play in them and the real problem turns out to be a destroyed rear universal joint. With both wheels off the truck I wasn't able to see the broken universal until I applied pressure to the one axle while the other one was held still. Whew!! $15 for a universal vs all that time and money searching for and replacing a rear.

Thanks again for the information. Please accept my apologies for the false alarm. My wife always tells me I'm too quick to assume the worst. I'll try to troubleshoot better next time so I don't waste anyone's time.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:08 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pashadowops
Please accept my apologies for the false alarm. My wife always tells me I'm too quick to assume the worst. I'll try to troubleshoot better next time so I don't waste anyone's time.
dont be sorry man, its better to be safe than sorry. i was gunna mention the u-joints to you cuz to me, thats what it sounded like it was. im the same way as you when it comes to assuming the worst. i find its always better to assume the worst just because when you find out its not so bad, its a huge relief.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:42 PM
pashadowops
Veteran

Amen to that brother!!!!

Quick Reply: Rear end pain in the butt!