1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

hood trubble

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:41 PM
s4m1am
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hood trubble

my hood opens its latch everytime i hit a good bump or flex the truck up front. has anyone else had this problem what do i need to replace?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:10 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow the latch cable and check to see if it's caught on anything that may be pulling on it.

*EDIT* I should also add, and this is just from my experience... before I did my transmission swap, my hood latch would almost never "pop" the hood. I would have to wedge something between the floor and release handle to hold it in the open position and walk around and pull the hood up. While I was doing the transmission swap, I had to take apart that part of the dash and unbolt the hood latch release handle to get to the pedals to swap them. Anyway, since putting it all back together, the hood hasn't failed to "pop" when I pull the handle. You may want to loosen the bolts holding the handle into the dash and see if it has any play in it and see if theres a better position you can tighten it down to so it will be less sensative. But first check to see if it's caught on anything.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 04-21-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 AM
OneBadKota
All Star

I would replace it.

Happened to me, at 55mph.. not fun.

Name:  MrFlufy958-1.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  23.0 KB

Old 04-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadKota
Dang that sucks! It happened once at the local dragstrip. It happened near the middle track. So maybe 50 MPH or so. It was a mustang! They always do something stupid like that.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OneBadKota
I would replace it.

Dang! That sucks. You have a picture of the hood damage there, but did it damage the roof or windshield at all?

Old 04-22-2009, 02:20 PM
OneBadKota
All Star

It damaged the roof, but luckily I could pop it out. I got REAL lucky on the windshield, it just cracked in a circle on the bottom corner.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 PM
s4m1am

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Follow the latch cable and check to see if it's caught on anything that may be pulling on it.

*EDIT* I should also add, and this is just from my experience... before I did my transmission swap, my hood latch would almost never "pop" the hood. I would have to wedge something between the floor and release handle to hold it in the open position and walk around and pull the hood up. While I was doing the transmission swap, I had to take apart that part of the dash and unbolt the hood latch release handle to get to the pedals to swap them. Anyway, since putting it all back together, the hood hasn't failed to "pop" when I pull the handle. You may want to loosen the bolts holding the handle into the dash and see if it has any play in it and see if theres a better position you can tighten it down to so it will be less sensative. But first check to see if it's caught on anything.
i messed with the hood relese and its just fine its more to do with the parts under the hood. the spring is a bit rusty and so is the catch on the bottom.

Quick Reply: hood trubble