1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

TBI vs Carburated???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBI vs Carburated???

Hello everyone,

I have been reading your posts for awhile so i became a member and i just recently got an 88 dakota LE w/ the 3.9L v6 w/ the holley carb. I have done airfilter, new valve cover gaskets, thermostate/ gasket, plugs, wires, cap n rotor. Just an over all tune up and she runs great and only has 126xxx miles on her. I purchased another dakota for parts and its an 89 with the 3.9L v6 but with TBI and no tranny. The body on this one is way better and requires less work so i think i want to swap my engine and tranny? Since i just tuned mine up and it has less miles. But if the TBI is better i might take that and put it on my engine? and build the other one up with the carb? Also there are no computer with the carb engine what about TBI as far as swapping goes what do i need to be aware of.

Thanks guys

Old 04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakota1089
Hello everyone,

I have been reading your posts for awhile so i became a member and i just recently got an 88 dakota LE w/ the 3.9L v6 w/ the holley carb. I have done airfilter, new valve cover gaskets, thermostate/ gasket, plugs, wires, cap n rotor. Just an over all tune up and she runs great and only has 126xxx miles on her. I purchased another dakota for parts and its an 89 with the 3.9L v6 but with TBI and no tranny. The body on this one is way better and requires less work so i think i want to swap my engine and tranny? Since i just tuned mine up and it has less miles. But if the TBI is better i might take that and put it on my engine? and build the other one up with the carb? Also there are no computer with the carb engine what about TBI as far as swapping goes what do i need to be aware of.

Thanks guys
your propably better off keeping the TBI engine where it is, and the carb engine where it is. it will make things easier for you in the long run. it would be an easy swap to put the carbbed motor in the bay of the TBI motor, but then to get the TBI motor into the carbbed motors bay, you have to install the computer and all the other fancy crap that came along with fuel injection. if i were you, i would just build up one, and junk the parts from the other one that you wont ever use, or need (or sell them).

Old 04-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

That is what i thought as far as ease. But i want to know if they put out diff numbers? As far as carb vs TBI? which has more power or potential for power. This of course is if i keep the TBI v6? I might just pull a few things of her and strip her to the frame. I really want to convert her to 4x4 when i find a totalled one, and throw a V8 mag in her and a 46RE tranny in as well. I found a 98 5.2L mag for cheap locally so i want to start there. Thats my plan. I dont know if the mount on that engine will work however.. in the 89? Sorry typo the 89 engine is TPI. Sorry. What exactly is the TPI injection

Thanks again

Last edited by Dakota1089; 04-27-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakota1089
That is what i thought as far as ease. But i want to know if they put out diff numbers? As far as carb vs TBI? which has more power or potential for power. This of course is if i keep the TBI v6? I might just pull a few things of her and strip her to the frame. I really want to convert her to 4x4 when i find a totalled one, and throw a V8 mag in her and a 46RE tranny in as well. I found a 98 5.2L mag for cheap locally so i want to start there. Thats my plan. I dont know if the mount on that engine will work however.. in the 89? Sorry typo the 89 engine is TPI. Sorry. What exactly is the TPI injection

Thanks again
im actually pretty sure that its TBI... it means throttle body injection. its basically like a carb, but controlled by the computer instead. all it means really is that there are 2 injectors in the throttle body itself. if you take the air cleaner off, you will see what i mean. the injectors are just 2 biggish brown things just above the butterflies on the throttle body.

from what ive been told, the fuel injection is better for fuel economy, but the carb is better for power. im not too sure tho, somebody correct me if im wrong. im not too sure if they put out different numbers, but if you were to go with the v8 mag like you said, you would get way more power. the magnums were designed different than the LA blocks (which are '91 and older) and therefore produced way more power. ive owned both a magnum and LA block v6, and i find that by far the magnum is better. as for engine mounts, im pretty sure you will have to change them, but im not sure, Crazy4x4rt knows more about that, or 95_318SLT, just stick around until one of those 2 guys can chime in and tell you more about engine mounts.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

That is what i figured as far as the V8 atleast for that yr engine. I know if i went with like a 92 318 it would basically bolt right in and it would only be a matter of time until the tranny went due to tourqe. I thought it was TBI as well but i was reading another site and they were using TPI? I think until im ready to convert to 4x4 and throw a V8 in i might just add my carb engine to the 89 frame? And just sell the TBI engine i would rather have the carb anyway, less miles, easier to work on, less wires, and i think a better sound .

Old 04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Ok so i think i found an engine and i want to know if it will fit. Its a 1994 318 for a jeep cherokee and i would like to know if ot will fir my 88-89 dakota 2WD

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: TBI vs Carburated???