1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

bed size and wheel base

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 PM
1shotjake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed size and wheel base

I have a question leading to either a great, or really stupid idea.

I was wondering what the bed length options were on the pre-grille upgrade on the pre-magnum trucks were. If I remember, you could get the long wheel base, short cab, and long bed correct? Would that then be an 8-food bed?

I am wondering this because I really would like the long bed, and keep my extended cab. This of course leads me to ask, if it was a long bed, it was long wheel base, and the lack of the extended cab made up for the difference correct? so then if I wanted the long bed, wouldn't I have to stretch the frame? my question then being would it be in the middle or the back end?

I'm not sure if I can tackle a frame stretch right now... but a new bed would be nice, because then I can avoid having to chop up the quarters to get rid of that nasty rust in the wheel wells.

Kinda surprised I haven't come across this before...

Old 05-31-2009, 02:20 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The '87-'89 had two wheelbase options:
112 inch reg cab, 6 1/2 ft bed
124 inch reg cab, 8 ft bed

Starting in '90 they gave the extended cab option:
131 inch ext cab, 6 1/2 ft bed.

I mentioned this idea in a post a while back, cause I've thought of doing it before, but it would require a lot of work. I decided against it cause the extra length on a truck that already won't turn would make driving it even harder, and make offroading almost impossible. It would be cool to see it done though, especially with a dually axle and dually fenders on the bed.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya the Club Cabs CC were only available with short beds. I love the long beds. One day I would love to add a long bed to my truck too.

Ya you would have to stretch the frame. And drive shaft and probably wires and will have to add extra fuel lines and brake lines and Brake cable. Lots to do but it is possible. If you do please take all the pics you can. For exact numbers of the bed sizes and frame lengths check out http://www.dakota-truck.net/infosheet.html

Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM
1shotjake
Professional

hmm this might settle my diesel stroker debate... I think I might just need a second truck. One will be a monster on/offroad rig, and the other, a ground-pounding tow rig. Long bed w/ either a dually or twin axles (or both?) Who wouldn't wanna pull a gooseneck or 5th wheel?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 AM
pashadowops
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
I decided against it cause the extra length on a truck that already won't turn would make driving it even harder, and make offroading almost impossible.
I thought it was just me. I had noticed that my F150 king cab, long bed did turn WAY better than this short bed. Why is that? The only difference the untrained 4x4 eye can see is that this truck uses CV half shafts, whereas the F150 uses universal joints. Is that what makes the turning radius in these trucks so crappy?

Sorry, didn't intend on hijacking this thread.

Quick Reply: bed size and wheel base