1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dreaming of my truck while in Iraq

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009 | 10:22 AM
MoparSoldier
|
Question Dreaming of my truck while in Iraq

Hi im Sam, im currently in iraq but im thinking of my truck back home, I have a 1991 Dakota 2.5l with a 5 speed tranny, I had posted earlier about wanting to work on the 2.5 four banger it has so that i wasnt that ***** but now ive decided that i want to upgrade, now I dont need that much preformance and i have to drive back and forth from Ft Benning Georgia to St Paul Minnesota so im thinking more along the lines of using a slant six and using import tricks to make it better or finding a junker with a nice engine. My question, is this possible without breaking the bank and can i used the transmission i have, lastly the speedomeder only goes to 85 can i change that?

Old 06-12-2009 | 12:12 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Thanks for your service. I was stationed at Benning as well. Wouldnt go back under threat of death.

Your tranny wouldnt be up to the task of a bigger motor. It just wasnt made to handle the extra power. So youd be looking at a total swap.

Around here you can buy 318's for around 300 bucks all day long. I know of 4 for sale under 300 that are in good running shape within 3 hours of me. Motor availability will depend on the area I suppose. Check craigslist.

If you can get a speedo unit from a truck with a 318 originally I believe mine goes up to 120. The magnum will peg that too.

As far as trannys go your probably looking at a 46RH for auto or an NV3500 for a manual.

Old 06-12-2009 | 07:12 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Ya what he said!

Quick Reply: Dreaming of my truck while in Iraq