1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

OBD I to OBD II conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OBD I to OBD II conversion...

well as you guys may remember, i got myself a 318 that im building a 390 out of. the 318 is a '97, so that being said, im gunna get a '97 tranny for it too. how hard is it really to convert my truck from OBD I to OBD II? i really want the functionality of an OBD II computer, that way i can set the engine up for daily driving, or the track, with one of those tuners.

The following users liked this post:
the_wrench_turner (06-18-2022)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:08 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was talking to a Dodge guy about this very topic. I was told that it is very doable if you can track down the new wiring harness and the PCM for your engine. Granted it is some work but I don't think it is any worse than anythign else you are doing.

Which '97 tranny you looking at? That would be the only thing I can see being an issue. Is the '97 electronically controlled or hydraulically?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:21 PM
skyshark186
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

97 should be electric

Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it is possible. Tons of work. Entire wiring harness. Not just from the engine bay but from the interior, too. Anything like abs system, to air bag systems. I don't know for sure but most of that all is controlled by one computer. And if it senses a failer it will give you a check engine light and will not run it's full potential. And I'm not to sure but I can bet there is no turner for any pre 2000 year obd2 dodge. I may be wrong. But Dodge is not as popular as Chevy and ford and the aftermarket never picked it up.

If your dead set on OBD2 I would say get an aftermarket system. Most of them come complete with a computer to PC hook up. It is expensive. But after buying all the necessary parts and all for a stock system it will pretty much equal. Price.

Don't get me wrong I would defiantly prefer OBD2, but it is to much work for a few extra HP if you can get it all for it. Especially since your truck is already OBD1 equipped. We do have the link in the FAQ2 for a hand held unit to configure OBD1 systems.
And I may be wrong but I think when Bad96 did his swap, all he needed to do for wires is add in the 2 injector wiring. The link is in the FAQ2.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 06-18-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: OBD I to OBD II conversion...