1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Possible to remove Gen 1 - 3.9 and auto tranny as 1 piece ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:30 AM
RobertMc
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello All... I'm finally getting around to do this.
Have to do some engine wiring harness repair then I'll be trying to pull them as a unit.
I'll be picking up the tilt bar today and measuring the how high it will be when attached to my engine crane.

Cheers !

Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 AM
bill55az
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some friends and I did the exact same thing, but it was a RamCharger. It is a bit taller than the dakota, but the rest is the same. We pulled engine, trans, and transfer case all at once.
It helps to remove the radiator and AC condensor, mostly to prevent potential damage to them.
If you don't want to pull the condensor, put some plywood between it and the engine to prevent damage....

Old 06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Thanks bill55az !

In this case that's not a problem, since the A/C and Rad are already out of the trucks ... along with everything else in the engine compartment hehe

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Ok... I'm set to pull the engine/trans in the next 2 days....

With the rad, condenser, fan, etc. removed I have...
about 5 INCHES HORIZONAL CLEARANCE from the front of the water pump shaft to the hood latch/rad mount.
You guys figure I can still do it ? It looks tight.

Keep in mind that this is the older style, flat nosed, pre V8, 4x4 Dakota... not the 91 and later model that has a longer front end.

If I can't pull them together.. any ideas on a way to pull the transmission through the engine compartment, after pulling the engine ?. lift the front of the tranny with the hoist and support the rear with a jack... then slide it forward in stages until I can use the hoist lift it out ? Engine has to come out anyhow, and that might be easier.

CHeers !

Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Have you dropped the rear mount? with the tranny tail sitting on the ground and your hoist rigged to keep the assembly at an angle, all should come out in one piece.

Best way, tho, is to remove the 6 bolts holding the front clip and body on, disconnect wiring harness where necessary, disconnect brake lines at master cylinder, and lift the entire body/front clip off, and THEN remove the engine and trans...

Old 08-03-2010, 07:00 PM
RobertMc
Professional

Hi Bill55az,

So you're saying that the tail of the transmission/overdrive wil be able to drop down low enough once I drop the mount, transfercase etc..... even with the 4x4.
If that's possible then it should work.

What worried me is that most of people I've talked with had the slightly newer model that has a longer engine compartment.
wasn't sure how the combination of 4x4 + older flat nosed truck would impede the removal.

As for removing the body... it's a convertible and that could just create a whole different set of issues. trading one hassle for another. hehe

Maybe I'm just paranoid.. 1st time I've ever done anything like this.

Any idea as to the weight of both engine and transmission ? I can extend the lifting arm on the hoist a bit more to get more height but then i'm limited to 1000 lbs.

Last edited by RobertMc; 08-03-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:24 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Like I said, we did it with a ramcharger, and they are a lot taller. It was a 360, plus transfer case plus auto trans...If you need more clearance, consider taking the front wheels off and lowering the front right to the ground....

Old 08-03-2010, 07:53 PM
RobertMc
Professional

I'll give it a shot, and report back with the results.

BTW Bill: saw your other thread about your 3 piece dak. looks like you have a nice shop.
All the rain we've been having makes me curse the 1.5 garage plus 'temporary garage' setup I'm using.

Just for those following this thread.... my buddy who owns a garage said that 1000lbs capacity is fine in this case.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Deerkiller9991
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not bad witha bigger truck. my chevy engine and tranny pulled right out. had to tilt it but not as much as a dakota i would imagine

Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
RobertMc
Professional

Of course.
I've worked on vehicles from the 60's and 70's that I could literally crawl into the engine bay, and it would be simple to do any work at all. But that's the whole point really, this isn't big at all, if it was I'd be stuffing a V8 in it. If this was my Ram, i'd be loving the space available.

I'll keep you guys updated on my results. I'll be pulling the transfer case today if I get time.

Quick Reply: Possible to remove Gen 1 - 3.9 and auto tranny as 1 piece ?