1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:15 PM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Issue

Well I recently put bought a 1996 Dakota, and well after my post about my engine. I replaced it with a 2.5 out of a 1999 Jeep Wrangler, Went to fire it up today, well I could not get it to fire. I checked the three wires of death, they were clear, auto shut off worked, I was getting spark but no fuel (tank was empty when I replaced the motor), I ran out got 5 gallons of fuel thinking that it should allow me to time it, bleed it, and everything else. HOW WRONG WAS I. I can't get fuel to the engine, pump is not kicking on and the gauge is messed up, it reads empty. I jumped the relay to see if it was a wire, nothing. So now I'm thinking the pump is fried. Does anyone else think that could be the issue?????

Chris

Old 06-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check current going to the pump and all the grounds before going out to buy one, does sound like it could be done though

Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say you jkumped the relay you mean you hooked the pump up directly to the battery? and it didn't run? Check the fuel pump relay.

I would get in there and check the connections to the pump and make sure everything is connected. It worked fine before the swap?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:32 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You said the tank was empty when you replaced the motor... does that mean you drained it or let let it run dry? If you let it run dry chances are you fried the pump. The pump uses the gas to cool itself, and if it has nothing to suck in and nothing to cool it, it can very likely kill it.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:25 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
You said the tank was empty when you replaced the motor... does that mean you drained it or let let it run dry? If you let it run dry chances are you fried the pump. The pump uses the gas to cool itself, and if it has nothing to suck in and nothing to cool it, it can very likely kill it.
so what your also saying is in a nutshell, if your like me, and your low on money to the point where the tank reads close to empty but your still driving it, its probably not a good idea.....

i cant bear to park her...

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Chris0908
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No no no, fuel gauge didn't work in the truck, so I didn't know that the pump was on the way out, nor how much gas was in it. I replaced the fuel pump (massive sucker that thing is and more expensive then the 19 gallon fuel pump is too), and it fired right up, come to find out when I replaced the pump I still had a half tank of gas, I'm glad I used the transmission stand I had to raise and lower it. $260 later, a good working fuel pump, a old seized motor and a good motor running like a champ. Only took me about 4 hours and a 12 pack to do the whole job.

Quick Reply: Fuel Issue