1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Diagnotic Do or do NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:34 AM
mpburris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnotic Do or do NOT!

I am also trying to find out: Do you pay the money to have someone put this 95 dodge dakota 5.2 ltr 318, on a diagnostic machine, to find out what the problem is??? I get conflicting answers about whether or not a shop CAN diagnose this fuel system problem, with their computer diagnostics? If this is an actual fuel pump/fuel pressure problem, or an "electronic" problem. If anyone knows whether or not I CAN actually get an answer as to what's wrong with this truck, by having it put on a diagnostic's machine? Thank you very much

Old 07-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

By diagnostic machine I'm guessing you mean a scanner. Yes you can pay a shop to do it. NO it will not give you anything related to the fuel system. The pre 96 computers will only give you 30 or so codes. A 96 and up will give you 100s of codes. But none will be directly for the fuel. If you really wanted to see what codes your computer has put out. Check out FAQ in this section for a link on how to read the codes without the use of a scanner. Or go to most auto parts stores like autozone and they can do it for free.

If you can't diagnose the problem, You can take the truck to get it diagnosed by a shop. But they can cost about $90 per hour and most shops just guess. So they may be wrong.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM
mpburris
Default Diagnostics

Actually I AM talking about a computer at a shop. NOT the scanner type. But that is what we were trying to decide IF it was worth paying the money. Actually our shops here are not charging that much. I think even our Dodge Dealer here only charges $90, but some of the "shops" here will do it for $50. But, "running down the fuel problem", is our intention, and if a computer diagnostics won't do it.., then we need someone, I guess, who can actually tell us "why" we do have a seemingly, "fuel problem" ?? Thanks for your input.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am not sure if I follow. I always understood the scanner to be the computer the shop uses. For the most part you just run a scanner on your truck, that's it, and sometimes the scanner has a module that will allow for trouble shooting, say for instance if you have a Snap-On which will also tell you common problems that may be related to a code that is pulled, but there is no special computer to my knowledge.

Old 07-06-2009, 01:31 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes a shops scanner will give you more than codes, like all the numbers your sensors are putting out. But your missing the point. The fuel system has no sensors or nothing that the computer can read. The closest tie is the fuel injectors, but that can not tell you anything about the fuel!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:43 PM
kev2
Veteran
Smile

SEMANTICS:
there is a code reader. $$
then there is a scanner. $$$
then a bi directional scanner. $$$$

Transmission capable can't afford these
SRS capable
ABS
ETC>

Why not tell us the drivability issue, let us know any codes, recient repairs, all modifications, hopefully someone can help, or give some ideas.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:47 AM
mpburris

Well, from what I understand, the computer they use, is not like the "scanner", for instance that auto parts use, when your ck eng lite comes on. However; I'm not sure what this computer tells them. It does not have any codes flashed, except the 12 (because we'd had the battery disconnected), and of course the 55 - end of codes. Only in the last day, reading the forums, did I realize that the diagnostic's would not give you info on the fuel system, as posted here. At any rate, we did find a reputable shop that said "they WOULD find the problem".., so we can just only hope, as we are out of options. As for the driveability.., well, been nothing really consistent; however, it's been cranking recently, but runs really rough, putting foot on the gas.., it seems to bog down, not really have power. But, there was a day of driving here and there, that the truck did not show that many signs of running that badly. It's had new plugs, new 02 sensor, new vacuum lines..., and we've ck'd as much of the wiring as "we know". We did have a breakdown in the Power Distribution center (supposedly a "known" issue), 3 yrs ago, truck turning over, would NOT crank. My son's Army training.., tested and realized there was NO power back AT the fuel pump, and found that there was NO power going from the PDC, to the PCM..., and instead of trying to find the "breakdown", he just ran a new line from the battery to the pcm, and it worked perfect, cranked, and never had a problem in 3 yrs..., til now, and that splice is still good, as we tested it to make sure. Anyways.., we're hopefuly this guy CAN find the problem, so we'll see.., and absolutely appreciate all the info on here! Thank you

Quick Reply: Diagnotic Do or do NOT!