1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

help..manual transmision

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 03:50 PM
heck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help..manual transmision

hello all,

thanks to all in advange, I have 93' dakota v6 manual trans. I bought this truck 3 ago. and its making sound or grind when shifting into reverse. about the truck, I change tranny fluid, I change the spark plug and wire, cap and rotor. the truck has 93000 miles. is this grinding sound is common to the truck that has manual trans. or there is something that need fix. by the way the truck is full stop when I when I shift the gear into reverse. again thanks in advange.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:59 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Grinding sounds are definately not common! Sounds like your reverse syncro is going out. There is a complete tear down of the AX-15 in the '95 FSM available for download in FAQ2.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, grinding is not good. Although I will add, I sometimes get a little grinding when first shifting into reverse, not good but it isn't grinding the whole time. So far every manual truck I have had has this occasionally. Is this what you might be talking about?

Old 07-07-2009, 01:36 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dbilik
I agree, grinding is not good. Although I will add, I sometimes get a little grinding when first shifting into reverse, not good but it isn't grinding the whole time. So far every manual truck I have had has this occasionally.
Really?! I've owned 3 manual vehicles and the only time I've ever heard any of them grind is when my left foot gets lazy. I've also driven countless others at the shop that have never had that problem. Are you sure you have the clutch 100% depressed the few times it happens, cause I know I let my left foot get lazy from time to time?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:38 AM
heck

yes, it happen to me only once a while not all the time. sometime when I go back up it was so smooth. that why I was thinking if this is a common thing to a truck w/manual trans. coz' this is my first truck and I don't anything about truck. thanks again.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:43 AM
kahanabob
Captain

If shifting into reverse from neutral it may grind a bit. When I start mine up i always shift into first then to reverse has been a habit all my life from when reverse had no syncro. Sometimes when i start it up it will not even go into reverse without first going into first and inching forward a bit then slips right into reverse no grind.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kahanabob
If shifting into reverse from neutral it may grind a bit. When I start mine up i always shift into first then to reverse has been a habit all my life from when reverse had no syncro. Sometimes when i start it up it will not even go into reverse without first going into first and inching forward a bit then slips right into reverse no grind.
Yeah, that is what I do too, but I have to shift into first then reverse without letting up on the clutch. Then I don't have any problems. Never had a problem where it wouldn't go at all. But yeah, pretty much been the same on every truck I have had and I just thought it was normal to the manual trans. I have had 4 trucks with manual now. And yeah, the clutch is depressed all the way too. It has never been bad enough to worry me.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM
'95Dakota
Professional

If i go from first to reverse it grinds just a tiny bit going it but if i sync the tranny (go from 1 to 2, then to R) it doesnt grind at all.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional

deleted

Last edited by SPARTANENGINEER1701; 07-24-2009 at 01:11 AM. Reason: deleted
Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 AM
heck

yea that a good idea I try it and it works no grind. thanks a lot guys. and also one more question? who did you know if your clutch cillender or slave clutch cillender are going to be bad . what are the symthons? becuase mine is hard to shift into ist. and second gear.

Quick Reply: help..manual transmision