1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

87 2.2 Carb Dakota...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 11:06 AM
BigDutch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 87 2.2 Carb Dakota...

Hello all,

I just picked up an 1987 Dakota this weekend. Its a 5 speed 2.2l 4 cyl carborated engine with 250,000 Km's on it. From what I know it is basically the k-car engine modified for rear wheel drive.

I have done some searching on this forum for other 2.2l Dakota's and I have not found anything.

What I would like to know is if the 2.2l parts are interchangable with the 2.2l turbo's that were built in the 80's. I have some plans for the truck in the future and need to do some reasearch.

Also, is there an online repair manual that someone can link for me? I believe that I have a vacuum leak as the truck idols really high.

IF anyone has any words of advice for the 2.2l, anything that I can bolt on to get a bit more power for it. I will greatly appriciate any insight.

Thanks
Jordan

Old 07-07-2009, 02:03 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Tachometer because for all you know it could be loud
I dont know if parts are interchangeable so wait for someone to chime in that knows about that, and for more power, a good amount of people inclouding me will be or have already swapped V8's in, I have an 87 with a 3.9 and im lookin for a 318 to put in

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDutch
Hello all,

I just picked up an 1987 Dakota this weekend. Its a 5 speed 2.2l 4 cyl carborated engine with 250,000 Km's on it. From what I know it is basically the k-car engine modified for rear wheel drive.

I have done some searching on this forum for other 2.2l Dakota's and I have not found anything.

What I would like to know is if the 2.2l parts are interchangable with the 2.2l turbo's that were built in the 80's. I have some plans for the truck in the future and need to do some reasearch.

Also, is there an online repair manual that someone can link for me? I believe that I have a vacuum leak as the truck idols really high.

IF anyone has any words of advice for the 2.2l, anything that I can bolt on to get a bit more power for it. I will greatly appriciate any insight.

Thanks
Jordan
im sorry to have to say this, but non of us really know too much about the 4-cylinder engines. we all have either 6's or 8's. there might be someone who can help you, but not too many of us

Old 07-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the FAQ in this section for pars manuals as well as service manuals.

Quick Reply: 87 2.2 Carb Dakota...