1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

header questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:40 PM
1shotjake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header questions

well I might bite the bullet soon and nab myself some headers. i have just under a month before I e leave for school, so I figure I have to get all major work done before I leave.

as a result of price (and the fact i have 4x4) i'm stuck with the shorty's (BOOOOO).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-97...=p4506.c0.m245

found those, and they appear to be pretty sweet. diggin the stainless, being in mi/wi I will need all the rust protection I can get. my biggest problem with it is the collector size. i don't like the 2" exit. my question, has anybody modified, or seen a modified shorty header with a larger collector. I plan to have them drop and exit out the side though glass packs (minimal cheap and loud). i know i will need new wire to weld the stianless, but that shouldn't be a problem. also is the 02 sensor bung in the collector, or is it supposed to be on the y pipe? i guess i can weld one of those in (i bought the drill and tap last time i had to mess with it... expensive tools...)

Old 07-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

They look good and a good price. Yes you can change the collector size. I had to do it to my headers for my TA I put some side pipes on and had to change the collector to make it work for my situation.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM
grswat
Veteran

I'm always fearful of ebay stuff. I bought a header similar to that for an Accord and the finish kinda mauled after it got warm. I didn't care about the finish so much but just an fyi. I have these on my truck http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G9045/ and I like em. They are actually made by Pacesetter. The paint melted off almost instantly but again I don't particular car about the looks.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
1shotjake
Professional

if these weren't stainless, i'd go with the summit one's in heartbeat, but for the price, and that it's made of stainless steel (though i'm not sure why type of finish they would put on it, I would think they would be bare) i'm willing to try. i've only used ebay a few times, but have never had any problems with the ebay stores, and the buy now option. for the price i wouldn't mind so much if any finishes came off, i guess so long as the welds hold, and it's not made of tin foil when i get them, it should be good.

in the future, my friend is looking at custom fabbing a pair of long tubes for his 4x4, i'm hoping i can convince him to make me a pair. (and how can he refuse considering i have a set of taillights for him!)

Quick Reply: header questions