1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Motor swaptions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 AM
surfabilty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swaptions...

I can't believe I never found this site earlier! I have a 95 Dak 2.5L 5sp and the motor finally bit the dust. I can't find any info on motor swaps that start with a 4cyl as the base. I know the 2.5L and 3.9L share the same transmission so if I find a 3.9L with ECU and motor mounts, it should just "drop right in" right?
Anyone know if an SRT-4 motor will bolt up to my tranny? Obviously, there would need to be much more fabrication of turbo and exhaust plumbing, but has anyone done this? Surely it's not as simple as finding the motor, mounts, ECU and a tube bender...
For the love of all things sacred, would anyone who was ever discontent with 99hp please speak up?! (And don't tell me the Jeep motor is beter, 120hp is a number for motorcycles!)

Bobby

Old 08-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

From a few who have done it you can just use the V8 or V6 mounts they will bolt up to the frame the same. You will need the complete wireing system along with comp. Just follow the V6 to V8 swap info and you can change things to make it work for your 4cly truck. Check out the FAQ2 in this section for swap info.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:57 PM
surfabilty

thanks for the heads up, Ill take some time to review, Any one else done a srt4 swap and can chime in here ? I do like the weight savings of the 4cyl, if i can get 250 to 300hp or so out of the l4 srt think it would be fun

Old 08-09-2009, 05:41 PM
blackandsilver95

hey i have a 95 with a 3.9. I have found a 5.9 i want to put in it and i was wanting to know if you maybe wanted to buy all the wiring ecu and everything for $500 let me know

Old 08-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Gigahurtz

Originally Posted by surfabilty
thanks for the heads up, Ill take some time to review, Any one else done a srt4 swap and can chime in here ? I do like the weight savings of the 4cyl, if i can get 250 to 300hp or so out of the l4 srt think it would be fun
A neon Swap would be a very big pain in the azz to say the least. I have seen a few done on standard base neons, and they drop the Srt-4 Engine into it. Takes months to do, and alot of patience. Converting it to a RWD setup would be alot harder. By the way.. I had a SRT that I brought brand new in 05. Miss that car much....

I you really are considering it. the 04 and 05 Srt's out of the box are 230hp. 250hp is a walk in the park to get.

Also, the SRT-4 tranny came out of a RWD box truck that dodge produced for Mexico, and the engine is Stratus or Cirius engine from Mexico as well. (cant remember which one). Tranny has weak 3rd gear and 3rd gear syncro's. They are always the first to go bad.

Quick Reply: Motor swaptions...