1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Doesn't start after going in water

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
CanisseVide
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't start after going in water

Hi, it was raining yesterday and i went in 16 inchs of water in the street, not offroad... my truck stalled and it didn't want to start after.

When i try to start, i hear a big click and sometimes a grind instead of a click but my starter doesn't turn. My air filter is wet and my battery is allright

It it because my starter is burned or besauce there is water in cylinder and too much compression for starter to turn or somehing else and how can i fix it??

thanks

Old 08-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of possibilities. One you killed your starter. You could have gotten water inside you combustion chambers like you said. Most likely you got water inside your intake manifold. Your just going to have to take it all apart and clean it up.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Bump
Veteran

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are most likely screwed my friend. the EXACT same this happened to me this spring. There is a tube connecting the intake to the front grill and acts like a drinking straw in water.

Mine took a water in the same way. Not all that deep.... but the bumper created a wave in front that was just high enough to fill that tube.

Pull out your plugs and try turning it over. My guess is it will not. if it wont turn over with out the plugs you bent a connecting rod. Thats what happened to me. Now you get to shop for a new motor! haha.

if you CAN turn it over with out the plugs in.... count your blessings! your one lucky SOB! crank it over with out the plugs in until water stops coming out of the holes.
Change oil. (use cheap oil)
Get it to start. dry plugs, crank, dry plugs, crank, dry plugs, crank.
Be careful not to overheat the starter though.
once it starts let it run till it warms up to operating temp and then drive it around the block a few times (dont go far, because there is most likely some water hiding elsewhere)
after a few miles on it, change oil again. (use cheap oil again)
check the tranny fluid as well as fluid in the front and read differentials. There are breather tubes on these to keep water out, but they can crack or break off and were not designed for deep water.

Trust me bro.... I just went through this whole deal! I ended up with a locked block and new motor. Along with all new fluids from top to bottom!

You NEED to do this now.... the longer you wait the more rust corrodes in there the more damage that is done. You should have done this immediately yesterday when it happend, but go do it now!

Old 08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
CanisseVide

Damn... Ok thanks

Old 08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
CanisseVide

.. you're right, i'l have to change it i'll put a 318 in it if i can find one

Old 08-11-2009, 01:43 PM
Bump
Veteran

So it is locked up?
Take the plugs out and try to turn the harmonic balancer with a big pipe wrench. If it turns, you may be able to fix it. If it dosent... its locked.

If thats the case you have a couple options too. Let me know what you find.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:20 AM
CanisseVide

which one is harmonic balancer?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

He is talking about the crankshaft bolt, in the middle of the crankshaft pulley.

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Bump
Veteran

On the front of the motor, at the center towards the bottom, there should be a pulley which bolts to the end of the crankshaft. I was able to grab the lip of the pulley and get a good torque on it with a pipewrench. If you cant turn it there... its locked.

Now, it could be locked ina couple different ways.

that 318 has enough power to bend the connecting rod. Thats what happened to mine. and then its scrap, IMO.
It could also bend a push rod to the heads. In that case that can be fixed and the block is salavagable. (provided it hasnt been sitting with water this whole week)
You can tell if the block is locked up by pulling the intake manifold and then the heads. if its still locked... go shopping for a new motor.

The hard part about not being able to turn the crank when you pull the motor out is that you cant unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel. This can be a big nasty, but I got tricks around it if this is the case.

Quick Reply: Doesn't start after going in water