1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Body Lift and Torsion Crank questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:03 AM
'95Dakota
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body Lift and Torsion Crank questions

sorry if i've asked this too many times, but i just havent gotten solid answers.

For a Body lift, i will be going with the Performance Accesories one. It says that you need to move the lower rad hose or something. And for the shroud, i was just going to make brackets to drop it.

Also, i was going to buy re-indexed torsion keys. For the 1 1 3/4~2" of lift that i want out of them, do i need a new pitman arm? I dont think you do since its only 2".

And whats with this shackle flip? Is it free? I havent really researched it, ill take a look at it after im typing this. I was going to get 2" blocks but thats $35+cost for U-bolts.

Thanks for the help. Sorry if i'm annoying lol

Old 08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The lower hose will flex. Ya make brackets to lower the fan shroud. The kit includes a spacer to weld into the shift linkage.

No you don't need a new pitman arm for the lift.

Technically no the shackle flip is not free. You will need a 2wd shackles from a Junkyard. For more info on all lifts and Ideas check the FAQ2 in this section.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
The lower hose will flex. Ya make brackets to lower the fan shroud. The kit includes a spacer to weld into the shift linkage.

No you don't need a new pitman arm for the lift.

Technically no the shackle flip is not free. You will need a 2wd shackles from a Junkyard. For more info on all lifts and Ideas check the FAQ2 in this section.
+1, except a few details... according to his signature he has a manual, so the shift linkage isn't there. You do not have to make the transmission shifter longer for the manual. You may have to make the 4x4 shifter longer though, or just thread the **** up the shifter rod. To do that, remove the cap loosen the lock nut, thread the ball upward, tighten the lock nut, put the cap back in.

Here is what I did for my body lift... I cut the lower hose a bit shorter so it wouldn't have to flex. I also installed an electric fan and did not mess with moving the shroud. Moving the shroud is not the best idea cause the fan and radiator won't be lined up. Your 2 best solutions are to move the entire radiator down or install an electric fan.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:21 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

okay. So the rad hose aint a problem.

Crazy, you moved your shroud?

The shackles shouldnt be a problem to find, just gettin them out os the hard part lol

Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

No I didn't mess with the shroud. I installed electronic fans before I did the body lift so I didn't have to mess with it. Ya taking off the shackles at the Junkyard is tough. If you have one that will allow you to take power tools that will help.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

No I didn't mess with the shroud. I installed electronic fans before I did the body lift so I didn't have to mess with it. Ya taking off the shackles at the Junkyard is tough. If you have one that will allow you to take power tools that will help.
oh yea, you can take anything lol You can take half the vehicle if you really wanted to! lol

My dad works at a big oilfeild place so im sure we can fab up some kind of drop bracket. We'll be doing all thw rok there anyways so it will be right there for measurements and stuff.

oh, oh, i have another question. My front wheels are facing inwards a little bit. If i cranked my torsion keys a little bit, will that correct it and not throw the caster out? I dont want to throw the allignment out.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

It will throw out the alignments. You will need to realigned it or else you will eat up tires or go all over the road. It is for safety. If you think it is off already then it don't matter you have to get it done anyways. Best deal is firestone with lifetime alignments. Get it done now and then when the keys come in get it done again for free.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:08 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

It will throw out the alignments. You will need to realigned it or else you will eat up tires or go all over the road. It is for safety. If you think it is off already then it don't matter you have to get it done anyways. Best deal is firestone with lifetime alignments. Get it done now and then when the keys come in get it done again for free.
oh okay. I was just wonderin if that woulda thrown everything out.

Do you think the 2" body and 2" susp. would be too much for 31's? Like would it look goofy you think?

My bro had a 3" body before when he had 31's on and it looked pretty good. An inch shouldnt change that much

Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

No I think it will look good. You will have enough room for 33's if you go that route. But 31's will be fine. Check out 95 318SLT he's truck has all that on 31's. Its not bad at all. Just scroll up or click on his name to go to his gallery.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 AM
'95Dakota
Professional

No I think it will look good. You will have enough room for 33's if you go that route. But 31's will be fine. Check out 95 318SLT he's truck has all that on 31's. Its not bad at all. Just scroll up or click on his name to go to his gallery.
o right, he's got 31's, i forgot. I love the look of Dakota33's truck. He's got th same but with 33's. I just dont have enough money for 33's lol 250 a tire, plus i want 16 or 17" rims so i need more money for rims. I have 31" BFG M/T's right now so those will be fine til i get the money for 33's.

Quick Reply: Body Lift and Torsion Crank questions