1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Mouse Versus Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
DukeSupes
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse Versus Wiring

Hey everyone,

Just wanted an opinion from everyone involving some wiring that some mice had gotten to.
I will try to attach the pic that I took. If it doesnt work, Sorry.

Last night I was just poking around the engine casing the project to replace the TB/intake gasket. And I noticed that the wiring to the Map sensor looked funny after getting a better look at it I saw the teeth marks from mice eating the sheathing. I thought it would probably be best to just replace the wires and splice in some replacement. But I instead decided to use some electronics cleaner spray to clean the wires, the wrapped each individually with electrical tape. Then I put a wiring loom around all three and taped that as well.
I figured this would be a good way to keep moisture away from the bare wire.

Last edited by DukeSupes; 01-28-2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:30 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try the brush on electrical tape or the electronics silicone inside of a heat shrink tube. I never like using electrical tape on a permanent connection on my truck.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try setting some mousetraps under your truck when you park it!! :P

No, but seriously, if it were me, I would solder in new wires and use heatshrink tubing on it, especially one the one with all the insulation gone and the wire strands frayed apart. If your gonna have to fix it, make sure you'll only have to fix it once!!

Old 08-15-2009, 12:56 AM
dakota_freak1989
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i second the replacement of the frayed wires i just got my 90 dakota on the road there were some rat chewed wires under the hood i solderd in some new ones and put silicone and heatshrink on the solder joints to make it water tight works good

Quick Reply: Mouse Versus Wiring