1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
dakota33
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire question

Hey, need help.. Im looking at jumping on the deal for the buy 3 get 1 free deal pro comp has for the tires.. I want the xterrains bad.. but the size that would fit me for 17" wheel is 305 65 17. What size would this really be.. I want a true 33" as there is no 34" I think 35" would be too big.. But I want this to be 12.5" wide, i checked tire calculator it said 32.6 by 12 wide... would this be the true size?.. cause I know when a tire is 33" it usualy reads something alot smaller. Im looking for the most tire for my money.. so help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
skyshark186
Captain

Section width 12.0 inches
overall diameter 32.61 inches

The problem of course is that my friends interco STS's that are marked as 33's measure 31.5 inches. My wifes same tire that is marked 35 measures 34.5, so much closer.

There is no real way to tell a true diameter without seeing the tires in person. Manufactures are NOT good at making the tire the "real" diameter.

Seems like they have an ok review online. Some people hate them, but you also have to keep in mind that 1/4 of the population is retarded(sorry, but south park is right on this one), and so you kinda gotta read everything with a grain of salt.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
dakota33
Professional

Originally Posted by sksyhark186
Section width 12.0 inches
overall diameter 32.61 inches

The problem of course is that my friends interco STS's that are marked as 33's measure 31.5 inches. My wifes same tire that is marked 35 measures 34.5, so much closer.

There is no real way to tell a true diameter without seeing the tires in person. Manufactures are NOT good at making the tire the "real" diameter.

Seems like they have an ok review online. Some people hate them, but you also have to keep in mind that 1/4 of the population is retarded(sorry, but south park is right on this one), and so you kinda gotta read everything with a grain of salt.
ya I hate that.. like no company makes a true 33" tire.. Im kinda backing away from this tire in a way though. Im looking more into the baja claw now, I love the look of that tire. but i also heard they run really small, but there is a guy on the forums here with a white dakota with those 33" baja claws and they look unreal.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:37 AM
skyshark186
Captain

Is your truck a street rig or do you wheel? If so what kind of obstacles, environment, slopes do you handle? That will make a huge impact on what tire you choose.

Bajas are good in sand, and moderate in snow. They gum up fast in mud, unless you have the hp to spin the hell out of em.

For an all terrain ish with good side grip my wife has loved the 35" sts I put on her landcruiser. They are decently quiet on the road and seem to wear ok. I havent had any issues with them. They do good in sand, pretty well in mud for an atish tire. No chance to test them in snow yet. They funnel water like an irrigation system. Only tire Ive ever driven that pushes water COMPLETELY out the sides. No windshield spray at all. Kinda cool.

MTR's are a great all around tire with good on road mileage. Ive heard lots of bad things about the pro comp MT's. The new bfg KM2's look SWEET.

TONS of options. I realize some of these arent as inexpensive as what your looking at....but if you wear em out in 20,000 vs 40,000 another 1/3rd on the price doesnt seem so intimidating.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:53 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

They ALL lie! Even if you look up the actual tire specs they are not true. My Dick Cepek 35x12.5x17s are said to be 34.9" in diameter. When I measured them on the truck to recalibrate my speedo with my Superchips, they measured 33 7/8" tall, and this with 42 lbs of air, just under the 50 lb. max...

The Nitto Terra Grapplers I just put on my Jeep are on their website as 31.57 inches and at the full cold tire pressure of 35 lbs measure at about 30.5".

My truck can clear a true 35", so in hindsight I prolly could have bought the Cepeks in 37x12.5x17 and been able to stuff them in there since their website lists the actual diameter at 36.8", I'd bet they wouldn't be much over 35", if that...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 08-19-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:11 PM
dakota33
Professional

I do mostly on road driving, but want something that will handle it when i take it off road, mostly when i do ofrroad, its either mud, or climbing sand/dirt hills and ****. nothing too serious.. I Just love the look of the baja claw though.. and i know alot of people dont like it, but I like road noise.
i am most likely ordering tires.. I wish i had a shop around here with tires in stock to actually look at first, I could fit a true 33" , but dont wanna buy a 35" or something hoping it would be close to a 33" and it not fit.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Ive very rarely seen a tire be true size or larger. But it has happened. I would say if you order anything less than a 35 you should be fine.

If you do mud and climbing you want something with good sidewall tread and large open voids. Trust me, an AT will never climb a muddy trail like a mud terrain.

If you like road noise buy SSR"s. I loved mine. They make a good hum on the highway and mine actually behaved really well. They had the best traction of anythign I would drive on the road. I loved them. I will put the 36-37" ssrs under my dodge when I get my crap finished.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm kinda liking the tires in your sig pic (although I'm biased, as I have them). I've owned probably seven or eight different A/T and M/T tires through the years and have yet to find one I like more than the FCIIs on a 4x4 that is a daily driver or spends much of it's time on pavement.

But if noise and premature wear on pavement is not an issue for you, the Claws are fantastic, I had a 33" set on my Wrangler when I had it. Only downside is they are not siped and can get a little squirrely on you on wet pavement, ice and hard packed snow. In mud, rocks and deep snow, however, they are tough to beat. Maybe the only tire I've seen on par with them off road are Boggers...

Old 08-19-2009, 02:52 PM
dakota33
Professional

ya I like the tires.. just not enough, I want something more mean looking I was looking at those SSR's yet they are pretty mean., but I think im going to go with the claw., there pretty sick looking. Thanks for the info though guys.

Quick Reply: Tire question