1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Removing EGR valve for good

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Removing EGR valve for good

I know that Crazy has no EGR valve if I remember correctly. After my head gasket went I think the moisture killed mine. Since I don't think it is worth buying a new one, and I should keep my engine cleaner by removing it, I am going to place a metal plate over the opening in the exhaust manifold and cover the thing up. I know this probably won't gain me too many MPG if any over a truck with a working EGR valve, BUT since my EGR valve is not working I think it will help me out. In other words, a non working EGR valve is worse than no EGR valve. Anyone test this theory out?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes I have no EGR. It is probably better to keep it. In theory it won't give you any MPG. The purpose of an EGR is to recycle exhaust gases to reburn. So you gain more MPG vs with out. But if it is dead you can just ditch it. Or just go out to the Junkyard and get one. And now days with the cash for clunkers, the junkyards are getting stock up with older trucks like ours. But If I had my choice I would have keeped my EGR to ensure I have the best MPG I could get.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
kev2
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

forgeting the valve issues. combustion temps, emissions.. ..more theory than practical my opinion

removing it is illegal....not replacing it an oversite.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:06 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Not to argue crazy but the cash for clunkers program specifically punishes any yard that sells motor parts of any program vehicle. They are required to be smashed in the condition they are delivered in. If anything, its making it far worse to find parts for older vehicles.

Ill also vote for "forgetting" to replace it.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:00 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote don't replace it. Mine is as good as gone. The headers I bought for my truck don't have it and the manifold I'm about to put on doesn't have it. Honestly, with the EFI system keeping the engine tuned, I don't see the engine running rich enough to recycle unburned fuel back through the intake like it may have with a carb... so I don't think you'll notice any mpg changes either way.

Skyshark is right Crazy, they are required by law to lock up the engine by replacing the oil with a glass fiber and water mixture and crush whats left of the car. The junkyards never get to see them.

Lol, yeah it's illegal to remove any emissions stuff, but my truck doesn't have a cat or egr, so sue me :P

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 09-30-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM
tndakman
Rookie
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Just a question about removing/disabling EGR. If the vehicle was originally equipped with one , will this not affect the CPU & you'd get a cel constantly? I think in later years the EGR was discontinued so would a CPU from one of those have to be installed to get rid of the cel bugging you?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the non EGR trucks are OBD2 so swapping computers doesn't work. My EGR is gone because I'm using a non EGR M1 manifold, it does trigger the CEL every once in a while but doesn't seem to affect the driveability. Actually removing it is going through a lot of trouble when you can just plug the vacuum lines and keep the little EGR control deal plugged into the harness.
If it still works, leave it alone.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya for the cash for clunkers they have to kill the engine, but a complete rebuild with maybe a overbore may work. But it is up to the dealership how to dispose of it. Here they are selling them out at auction to the junkyards. I was just out at the u-pull today. I saw TONS out in the lot. TONS out waiting to get processed with the oils and all. I pulled the cruise control switches today.

Q: What will happen to the car I trade in?
A: The car will be sent to the salvage yard. Some parts may be kept but the engine and drive-train must be destroyed. Specifically the engine will be injected with a liquid glass solution to permanently disable the engine and it will be the responsibility of the dealer to make sure this is done to the engine
Official Rules of cash for clunkers.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:07 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I stand corrected. I heard countless times that the cars/trucks would be sent to the crusher without the possiblility of parts being taken off of them or sent to a junkyard.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM
kev2
Veteran

Gentlemen .....cash for clunkers program involves auto dealers- do you really thing ALL will comply to letter of law? then the salvedge yards?

Quick Reply: Removing EGR valve for good