1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

flex plate issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:13 PM
22dodge
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first, that guy is full of crap that he can get a 4x4 trans out in under an hour on his back, because if he really could, he'd be making about $120K just doing transmissions Maybe in a junkyard with no cab on the truck or just taking the torche to hack and cut the rear crossmember and engine to trans brackets. would be the ONLY way to get an automatic out of 4x4 without a hoist. I'll bet he'll say you don't need to remove the oil filter either.

I saved an hour on the whole job r&r. flat rate is 9.1 hrs if the exhaust or skid plate does not interfere. I did the first one w/o pulling the axle in 8.5. Now i'm down to 6 - 6½ hrs including r&r of the front axle. But I still get paid 9.1 + .3 on exhaust interference and .4 for skid plate removal

getting the transfercase out is a PITA. the top bolts are a bear to get at. then It's a puzzle, you have to pull it back to clear the studs, then rotate it while picking up the back then weasling it out

Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup, I'm completely full of crap.... whatever helps you sleep at night. When I did my transmission swap, I had the automatic out in an hour give or take 5 minutes. Last time I checked, it takes about 15 seconds to take out an oil filter, so I don't even know why that would be mentioned. Also, the rear crossmember is not in the way, and like I said before, neither is the front axle. The only thing you need to take the front axle out for is if you need to get the oil pan off the engine. I guess next your going to tell me the oil pan is in your way too?

There's a funny thing about doing it the way I say... you can use air on all but maybe 8 or 9 total bolts that have to come out. You take out every bolt with an impact or air ratchet and the job goes by rather fast. Also, If I thought I could take the transmission out of any vehicle this fast, I would be working at a transmission shop... I just happen to know my truck well. Besides, if I got paid 9 hours to do the work, I'd probably spend 6 hours total on it as well, but when you don't get paid to work on your own vehicle, you don't want to waste time.

I do hope you realize I'm talking about the time it takes to pull the transmission out. I can't get it back in in that kind of time. But I'm done arguing on this topic cause your wasting my time. I posted on this thread to help the OP, not to get in a d*** measuring contest with you.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 09-19-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Okay as a Df moderater I can lock this thred. Lets stop the arguing. If anyone posts something other than the orginal Topic it will get locked.

Quick Reply: flex plate issues