1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Rust Prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM
festerw
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust Prevention

I've been using a product called Fluid Film for about 4 years now. I've got no new rust that has formed on the frame and as a welcome side effect here in the rust belt I have not broken any bolts in any of the repairs I've needed to do.

It also saved me from needing to replace my e-brake cables, they were frozen and once they soaked for a few days work like new.

I'm working with a salesman to get free samples if anyone wants any.

Old 09-22-2009, 09:42 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is this like a penetrating oil? Or is it more like por-15 where it paints over and converts rust?

Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 AM
festerw
Veteran

Not like POR 15, works as a penetrating oil but takes awhile to do it. It's billed as a corrosion inhibitor basically leaving a protective coating over what's sprayed. For example the bottom door lips I sprayed 2 years ago are still wet from the original treatment.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Coadster
Rookie

I'd definately be interested in trying this.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:12 PM
festerw
Veteran

Just got a confirmation, to get a free sample for a limited time email dan@fluid-film.com and put Dodge Forum in the subject.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:28 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will it keep metal from rusting up worse than what it is and does it harm any thing originally put on the metal, and can it be used on the body of a vehicle to stop spots from rusting worse than what they have and if so will it harm or do anything to the paint or primer underneath the paint?

Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
festerw
Veteran

Should stop rust as long as there is a good coat and no it will not harm any paint just make sure it is completely washed off before repainting.

For more info Plowsite has a dedicated Fluid Film forum which will answer alot of questions.

Here's a 4 month test on bare steel through the winter, you'll have to scroll through for the pics through all the banter. http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.p...highlight=test

Old 09-22-2009, 10:32 PM
93dakotafamilyman

they have a lot of rust preventive things out i am a commercial painter for a living...kem kromik is a good rust eater and preventer it instantly stops and prevents rust for a lifetime...another is a direct to rust epoxy it penetrates the rusts and works for a lifetime as well ....and good penetrating oil is some stuff called penetrol i use it on all the outside shovels and stuff never had rust. takes a beating through salt as well hope some of my random info helps kem kromik is a sherwin williams the direct to rust is pittsburg paint and penetrol any paint store

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM
gapere

Thanks! Very interested in trying this.

Quick Reply: Rust Prevention