1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ignition Lock Cylinder replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Dakota1089
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2 88 dakota one runner and 1 parts. Also neither of your were right about changing that out.

lghtngblt02: i dont know if you own a first gen but the column is one solid plastic piece and there are no torx screws on the column or any where for that matter.

LO 619: I dont know about your way either you said there is a pin and something else. The only thing that is on the stering column by the lock cylinder is the hazard light switch which when removed does nothing to the lock cylinder and then there is a backup light bulb which has nothing to do with that either? So any pics or an accurate way of replacing the lock cylinder would be great until i can find my service manual.

Thanks

Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dakota1089
I have 2 88 dakota one runner and 1 parts. Also neither of your were right about changing that out.

lghtngblt02: i dont know if you own a first gen but the column is one solid plastic piece and there are no torx screws on the column or any where for that matter.

LO 619: I dont know about your way either you said there is a pin and something else. The only thing that is on the stering column by the lock cylinder is the hazard light switch which when removed does nothing to the lock cylinder and then there is a backup light bulb which has nothing to do with that either? So any pics or an accurate way of replacing the lock cylinder would be great until i can find my service manual.

Thanks
I owned a newer 1st Gen, '93 to be exact before this 3rd Gen I have now. The column split into two pieces, which yours may or may not, as you stated. The secuirty torx were on the interior side which held the cylinder lock and the switch onto the entire column assembly, not the plastic casing, the interior side.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dakota1089

Thanks
Ok, I have the removal instructions infront of me and I'm going to scan the page for you... You will need to remove the steering wheel to get into the housing. You can't get the cylinder out PROPERLY without getting to the inside and depending on the model there is a simple lock release slot and it drops right out in 91 & later models it's held in by a retaining pin.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 PM
LO 619
Captain

PS. how much for a LH fender?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Dakota1089
Professional

Yes that sounds right when i was reading my service manual on getting at the ignition switch i remember scanning over that page which showed having to remove the steering wheel so i have to get a tool for that.

As for a Fender Both of my two truck fender suck as i live in MN. And i did get ahold of a mint front clip but thats going on my truck after winter. Plus if you look on ebay they are not that much. If i had a good one to spare just to ship it would cost as much as a new primed and ready to go one

Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 PM
da-kota
Default Hi, could you post these ignition removal instructions?

Originally Posted by LO 619
Ok, I have the removal instructions infront of me and I'm going to scan the page for you... You will need to remove the steering wheel to get into the housing. You can't get the cylinder out PROPERLY without getting to the inside and depending on the model there is a simple lock release slot and it drops right out in 91 & later models it's held in by a retaining pin.
Hi, I have the same dilemma. I have lost my only key for my 1987 Dakota and I have the steering wheel off but I am unsure what to do after that. Could you possibly help by posting the removal instructions up here?

Thank you

Old 10-18-2009, 09:47 PM
LO 619
Captain

i am having an issue with my scanner.... I will try and get the instructions up

Old 10-18-2009, 09:54 PM
LO 619
Captain

took a pic with a camera... hope this helps

Old 10-18-2009, 11:09 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Wow thats cool. The 93's is MUCH easier to swap out.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
da-kota

Looks easy enough- thx

Quick Reply: Ignition Lock Cylinder replacement