1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
bullwinkle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge

OK I have a '93 Dakota, done some work with the help of this forum, and I appreciate the help I've gotten.
Now on to the next issue with the truck. The temp gauge doesn't work. The engine gets hot (heater works fine) but the gauge never moves. I know this probably isn't a major issue but I want things to be working like they are supposed to. I'm assuming it is either the sending unit or the gauge itself. What I would like to know is one or the other more prone to going out? If it is the sensor where exactly is it located and how difficult is it to change?
Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:17 AM
skyshark186
Captain

I would check the temp sensor. That would be far more prone to go out than the gauge, although its not impossible. Autozone should have them and a walkthrough.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:26 PM
bullwinkle

Well replaced the sensor and guess what the needle moves now, just not as far as I would like it. It stops at the first line but has the heat going ok. Guess I need to replace the thermostat now. Looks like it might be stuck partially open. How much of a pain is it to replace since it's down in there behing the alternator braces and all?

Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

it is possible it has failed or you have a low temp thermostat. To replace it may be easier to remove the alt. 2 bolts and leave on the wires.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

my dak seems to run very cold according to the gauge i figured it was just normal. hmmm

Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
bullwinkle

Replaced the thermostat and the needle moves up to just shy of half way. I have more heat than I need for this time of year!!

Quick Reply: Temp gauge