1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New Dakota Owner, I need help with a few things

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 03:27 AM
true4chel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dakota Owner, I need help with a few things

I just got back from Iraq (3rd tour) and I bought a 92 Dakota V8 4x4 for $1,000. I understand it needs a little work but I decided not to pass on it for a couple reasons. 1, I didn't feel like going into debt for a truck and 2, I am really enjoying learning about my truck with just tinkering around. I had to troubleshoot and fix the heater, install a stereo, fix all interior lights and install the complete lower half of the dash. I have already become a fan of the salvage yards but I was curious if I could get some good recommendations of places to to buy replacement parts (mechanical and cosmetic). I still need to troubleshoot the overdrive, A/C, replace the door locks and cruise control. BTW, I have already received tons of good info from the various forum's on this site, thank you.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:41 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First, welcome to DodgeForum! And thanks for serving!

I would suggest you start by reading through faq and faq2 (stickies near the top of the 1st gen subforum). You'll find the links for parts sites there as well as a download link for the '95 FSM (very similar to your '92). The manual has great troubleshooting and dissasembly/reassembly steps for everything on the truck. There are also factory parts manuals. If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to DF! Just like said above plenty of stuff for you to look around. There is plenty to do with these trucks. Do you have any plans for it? Is it going to be a Daily Driver? Any Modifications you would like to do?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM
JnJ

First off, thanks for your service. I would like to hear what issues you have/had with heat and AC. I am currently trying to figure out my issue with the same.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
true4chel

First thanks for the warm welcome. I have to say I love this truck and I am very happy I bought it. About the heater, first I couldn't get anything to come on at all, nothing blowing whatsoever. (BTW, I know just enough about cars to sound stupid in a conversation so that is another reason for buying the truck so I could learn how to do things on it.) The truck came with a new dash heater/AC control so I replaced that, it still didn't work. Then I checked the fuses, the one under the hood was good but I didn't have a diagram for the fuse panel under the dash until I found the one in the FAQ section. I replaced the bad fuses and still had nothing. I was told my next step would be the resistor, did that and still nothing so I went to the actual blower motor itself. I pulled it out and hooked it up to the battery and it was good, so I hooked it all back up and it worked, until I put the cover back on, and it didn't work and then I realized the cover was pushing on the fan preventing it from working. I adjusted the fan, put it back together and the heater works great now. I will tackle the AC later.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
skyshark186
Captain

Thanks for your service.

Sounds like youre getting a good grasp on things. The manual you can download from here is a good helping hand. Buying little cosmetic(replacement) parts online can be a task sometimes. Ebay and similar sites can help. I would also recommend checking out your local craigslist.

The best way to learn mechanics is just to dive in and take your time.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
94 mark3
Professional

Welcome and thank you for serving our country.

Looks lime you're learning quick

Quick Reply: New Dakota Owner, I need help with a few things