1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Radiator leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:05 PM
niterider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator leaking

Hello to all, this morning i find the radiator leaking on my 94 dakota 4x4 5.2 automatic. I plan to replace it as it is very cloged looking inside (lots of white build up) can anyone help with some basic R&R instructions? the thing that worrys me is the trans lines and loosing tranny fluid.

Thanks for any input.
Bill

Old 10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
niterider

Correction: it's the waterpump.... guess i have more of a problem than i think.
well, at least the fluid looks green and not brown. I know what i need to do, but still any advice would help.

Thanks again.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:08 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A leaking water pump is the first sign of it going out. The impeller bearing/seal starts leaking. Nothing major to worry about... just need to replace the water pump.

For a good manual, we have a download for the '95 FSM in faq2 (its a rapidshare link). That will give detailed instructions on how to replace it, but its not hard at all!

You'll need a 1/2, 9/16, and 5/8 inch socket and ratchet for all the bolts, and a 15 mm (?) for the belt tensioner. You'll also need pliers for the hose clamps and a large flathead or minipry bar. Replace the bypass hose while you're at it (the really short one).

Old 10-24-2009, 03:33 PM
festerw
Veteran

Must be going around mine had a small puddle on Monday, by Friday it was running down the parking lot at work lol.

FWIW check your plenum gasket while you're at it. The bypass hose (and if warranted thermostat) is easier to remove with the alt/AC bracket removed and IMO if it's blown and you're in the garage anyway why not.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:25 PM
niterider

Okay, I have the old water pump off and 95% of the gasket cleaned off, What about re-using these squeeze clamps on the hoses??... the bypass hose WHAT A PAIN IN MY SIDE!!! I need to get it back on the road for monday so back at it.
Might take the rest of the day but thats ok by me.
using fourms like this for info is the best way to go. I have the tools and am willing to get my hands dirty.
one more thing? can i fill the rad with Vinegar to cut the calcium deposits?

Old 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should work. I doubt it would hurt anything just to flush it, but don't keep it in there. I would fill it up with some vinegar and water and run the engine at operating temperature and run the heater on high and then let it sit overnight, then drain it, and flush it with a garden hose. But thats just me.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 PM
niterider

All back together! no leaks, just have water in it right now. and that peskey bypass clamp? I shoulda have took it off and put a regular hose clamp in place of it. other than that everything went good.
Tomorrow i will add a gal of vinegar and let it sit for a while, drain and fill with some antifreeze.
Just like Money in my pocket! But i still hate working on them.
thanks for your support.

Quick Reply: Radiator leaking