1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Truck takes too long to start

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:29 PM
ksc_31
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave's description of his trucks starting problem sounds exactly what I'm about to deal with on mine ('95 3.9L). I also found that if I crank the engine (when cold) for just a second or so, turn the key off, then turn the key back on it will often start right up. Some times it calls for another round of turning key to "Off" then attempting another start. Similar to Dave, my truck's "check engine" light doesn't come on. Unlike Dave, I never tried to check for any codes so I'll have to do that.

Dave, I'll be interested in hearing more about this to the conclusion since you seem to be blazing the trail for me. Glad I caught this thread before going online to purchase a new fuel pump. I may still need to do so, but now I can set my expectations accordingly...

Old 10-28-2009, 10:23 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay this one is from left field but have you checked you battery it might be down on cranking amps when its cold it turns over the engine but not fast enough to start it. Then after it has run for awhile it builds up enough amps to start nomally.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Bump
Veteran

Another guy here with the same problem. I have assumed to this point that it is a bad fuel pump. It seems to me that after sitting for 30+ minutes that the fuel from the lines drains back to the tank and it needs to be pumped back to the motor to start. (thats how I envisioned it in my head)

I cycle my key (on for 3 seconds, off) like 5 times when I cold start. reduces the cranking time and IMO taking some load off the starter. When it does fire, it will rough idle for 30 seconds and then it runs perfect.

It has been this way for over a year now, I just have not gotten around to replacing the pump. Now after hearing that this did not fix your problem... im tuning in for a new resolution.

Keep us posted

Old 10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
DaveBilik

Well guys, I fixed my truck!

It wasn't the fuel pump I changed

it wasn't the IAC I changed

it wasn't the crankshaft position sensor I changed

it was that little fuel pressure regulator that is mounted on the fuel rail!! Took me about 30 seconds the changed and my truck fired right up! Oh well, I guess I changed some things the would have gone out anyway... And I fixed my fuel gauge when I changed the pump.

Thanks for your help though!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! I'm glad you got it. Sometimes it is the simple overlook things. There are way too many possibles. Ya it is best you replaced those things anyways, they were 16yrs old.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Bump
Veteran

What did that run you for materials? Hopefully that would fix mine as well! Unfortunately, I will still have to go in the fuel tank as my fuel gage dosent work... and Im pretty sure I messed that up last time I was in there.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:34 PM
ksc_31

Like Weston, I'll still need to do something with my fuel pump since my fuel gauge loves to wave like a drunken sailor at me from Full all the way down to about Half-full. But I'll be thrilled if I can put in a new fuel regulator and have that fix the problem! The fuel gauge is a minor annoyance, but my girlfriend refuses to let me take us out camping in the truck until I fix the starting "issue" since she's unwilling to take any chances on getting stuck somewhere. Can't say I blame her...

Does anyone know if the fuel regulators are universal for all 1st Gen's? Or do I need to worry about the differences for a '95 (mine) versus Dave's '93? Not to mention he has a V-8 and mine is a V-6... Guess I get to do some research.

Congrats on the fix, Dave!

Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 PM
ksc_31

Crud...

After some research (and looking at the manual I downloaded from the link in the FAQ), I've concluded that my particular vehicle is one of those lucky ones where the fuel regulator is attached to the fuel pump at the top of the tank. I guess I was a little hasty making that online purchase of the fuel regulator that seemed like such a good deal. It probably makes more sense just to replace the entire fuel pump assembly, no? Guess I'll check into how one goes about canceling an order on the site I used...

Argh...

Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM
ksc_31

Just in case Weston is still struggling with his truck not starting up immediately during starter turn-over, I thought I'd second the solution that Dave provided for this problem. I ended up replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, since in my '95 the fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly and I figured replacing the whole assembly would simultaneously fix the gas gauge problem. Sure enough, the new fuel pump/fuel pressure regulator/sending unit combo has the truck starting up easily and giving me accurate gas gauge readings. Yay!

Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Bump
Veteran

Thats good to hear. I have been putting this off for over a year now, trying to bring myself to go to the salvage yard and get one... but as I am hearing more and more problems with 1gen fuel pumps, I think a brand new one is money well spent. What did yours run you?

Quick Reply: Truck takes too long to start