1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

pulling tranny...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
4x4Dakota93
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling tranny...need advice

its a 93 dakota4x4 v6 manual tranny...

ok so ive never really done a tranny pull my self... the reason for pulling is cause the throwout bearing went out and the truck screams like a bitch....

anyways... so im assuming...

pull the driveshaft off...
remove everything inside truck around stick... do i need to actually pull the stick out up and out? to pull the tranny back, and what about the 4x4 stick?

can i leave the transfercase attached? and if so do u guys think its possible to get transfercase and tranny downwithout loss of fluid?

how will i know if the flywheel is bad? i didntbuy a new one, just a clutch kit with throwout bearing, pressure plate,clutch and pilotbushing...

is there anything i need to be careful with while putting back in? is everything direct back in? or could i accidently put it in off a notch?

anyhelp would be nice...

thx

How should i break inthe clutch after install??

Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had done a search, you would have found the procedure cause I've written it several times in the past, but here is a run through of how I take out the transmission...

First, the transmission shift tower needs to be completely removed, so take off all the trim peices and unbolt the tower. Cover the hole with a rag and tape it on or put a rubber band around it or something.

Now, remove both the driveshafts. When you pull the rear driveshaft out of the transfer case, it will leak fluid. Next, unhook the transfer case wiring and shift lever, and while you're at it, unplug the reverse light switch from the transmission. Unbolt the transfer case and pull it off the transmission. For me, I can take the t case out without a jack cause its not that heavy, but if you need one, use one to help lower the transfer case.

Next, raise the front of the truck up on jackstands and remove the 2 front wheels and inner wheel wells. This will give you access to the oil filter, and mounting brackets without the need for swivel sockets or odd extension combinations. Remove the oil filter and transmission-engine-front axle brackets on each side as well as the starter. Also, remove the exhaust manifold to y pipe bolts. Once the brackets and starter are out of the way, take off the dust plate and remove the remaining front-facing engine to bellhousing bolts.

Next, (and this is just what I did cause I have a welder), I unplugged the o2 sensor and cut the bottom of the y pipe off with a pneumatic cut off wheel to get it out of my way. If you don't have the ability to weld the exhaust back together, the entire exhaust system needs to come out and this can be a PITA.

Next, remove the transmission support crossmember by unbolting it from the transmission and the frame and slide it back behind the transmission out of the way. This needs to be done before the rear-facing bellhousing bolts are removed.

Once thats done, support the transmission with a transmission jack and unbolt the remaining engine to bellhousing bolts and the crankshaft position sensor. Slide the transmission back until the input shaft is clear of the pressure plate and then lower the transmission out of the way SLOWLY making sure everything was properly unhooked.

If I'm forgetting something, someone else chime in!

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 11-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
4x4Dakota93
Veteran

right now i got both shafts out, i got both shift linkages out all wiring pulled out of the way...

theres a black cylinder on side of tranny bout 8in long by 2in width, with black house coming off of it and going towards engine bay, whats this? do i pull it off?

i dont have welder so i gotta pull full exhaust off still... whats the purpose of pulling oil filter? and i dont know if i read right but u said pull starter off also?

is it 100% nessacary to pull the transfercase off??? did u do this cause of weight issues or will it cause a bind somewhere?

sorry for all the questions, i just really need to have this truck running before the end of the night, its 3:20 now hoping to be done before 9ish

Old 11-15-2009, 04:46 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm guessing the black cylinder is on the transfer case not the transmission. And I would say it is the CAD. Go ahead and pull it off just so you don't accidental brake it. You can just unbolt the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold. That will allow you to work it around the exhaust pipe.

Yes you have to pull off the transfer case. There is a crossmember in the way.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
4x4Dakota93
Veteran

transfercase off...

issue.. fighting the 2 bolts on each side of y pipe... , imagine almost 20 years of exhaust piping near the gulf of mexico coast and saltwater!!! there rusty enough to where u cant see the threads anymore

the black cylinder is definantly on the tranny, its right where the tranny starts getting wider at the bell housing

am i gonna loose oil pulling the filter off??? just did a syntheic oil change last week, dont wanna waste

Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You will loose some but not to much, just don't tilt the fliter. You need to remove the oil filter to get to one of the transmission bolts.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Sorry, I knew I was forgetting something! The black cylinder is your clutch slave cylinder and it definately needs to come off!

The oil filter needs to come off because it is blocking one of the engine to bellhousing bolts. And what crazy said about the filter, you'll lose some, but just set the filter down and cover it with something and don't turn it over and you'll keep most of the fluid in it. It only holds about half a quart anyway!

Snap the y-pipe bolts if you have to!!!! I replace those everytime I take the y-pipe off the manifold cause they are a PITA!

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 11-15-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:05 PM
4x4Dakota93
Veteran

well i got the passenger side y pipe to manifold bolts off... 1 came off ok the other... i had to break the tab off the top of the manifold/headofbolt and got a breaker bar locked in on bottom side and got a 5foot breaker bar on top and brokebolt off....

the driver side looks alittle harder to get to... didnt get a chance to get to it... one of my friends, bros best friend, rolled his 2001 dakota 3 times... just lookin at the truck u wouldnt of thought someone survived...

so had to bounce and check on him, hes fine... little banged up and stiches in hand...

trannypull postponed til next weekend i guess

the flange pieces how much r they? i think i just wanna cut thru bolts on other side and buy newboltsflanges

Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
4x4Dakota93
Veteran

im really starting to think it might of been easier to just pull motor???

has anyone done it that way before?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
95_318SLT
Champion

Yes I have, and it is easier to just pull the transmission out from the bottom!!

Quick Reply: pulling tranny...need advice