1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'90 Dakota - problems, can someone help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:08 PM
mazda7475
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the timing is adjustable on a 90. if it is retarded too much it will overheat and tend to want to stall. might be worth checking and the best part if you got a gun it's free. timing on a 90 v-6 should be 10 degrees before top dead center.
as for the sound from the wheel does it does sound like a wheel bearing. i had both go on mine. sounds like something grinding but the sound travels through the drivetrain so your not positive where it is.
the tranny has a rod from the throttlebody to it. loosen the 13mm bolt on the tranny - push the lever on the tranny all the way forward - tighten the nut back down.
you'll know the rod because it's the only one attached to the tranny.
i should add that if the adjustment doesn't work then check for play where the rod attaches to the throttlebody (where the carb was located in the old days) there are plastic bushings on it and they tend to wear out and break off. just pull out the small cotter pins and use small washers to take up the slack, then replace the cotter pins. i think that is probably why they went to a cable for the 92-96 models.
"disco never died they just changed the name to dance music"

Last edited by mazda7475; 12-16-2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
LO 619
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by killrail
Something else I'll be checking tomorrow.
In your opinion, from the problems I have listed... should I have bought it in the first place?
My truck was and still is in a state and I ask myself this question too. But you bought it so now you have to fix it. Just fix the bi*** and it'll be over lol

Old 12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
killrail

How can I adjust timing on it?
I would like to know everything about it...where it's located, which way to adjust or retard, activation modes, etc.?
I need the actual process.

Example: loosen distributor, tilt and (activation modes such as) revving past 3000 rpm's 3 times, etc.

I know where it needs to be (10 degree's before drop-dead-center) but how would I actually adjust it?

Last edited by killrail; 12-18-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the FAQ for online service manuals.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:31 AM
killrail

I have tried a few of the posted links in the FAQ thread...
#1 - http://www.oplin.org/databases/proxy2/proxy.php?qurl=http%3a%2f%2farrc.epnet.com%2fautoa sp%2fframerq.asp
This one didn't work, it went to the library page but the page said "Page not Found".
#2 - http://www.eserviceinfo.com/
I went to this one and clicked on Automotive then Make "Dodge", model "Dakota" and then it said "No matches found".
#3 - AutoZone's on-line repair guide
I've HAD to sign up for this repair manual. And now have been through 3/4 of the site and have found NOTHING to what I am looking for. Mainly timing belt/chain removal/install, have yet to find anything on adjusting the timing.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
killrail

Originally Posted by LO 619
My truck was and still is in a state and I ask myself this question too. But you bought it so now you have to fix it. Just fix the bi*** and it'll be over lol
Shoot - I don't have to fix it. I could just sell it.
I would like it to start, run and drive good though. I really wanted a Toyota or Nissan but they are high $$$$. Think I got a good deal on this one though. As long as I can fix what's wrong with it.

Last edited by killrail; 12-18-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well if you want to sell it go for it. No one is stooping you.

This site does work. I just tired it. Also if you have buy a manual. Cheep and better then selling it because you can't afford a $19 online book.

http://search.ebscohost.com/
#1 User name: library
#1 Password: library

Old 12-18-2009, 12:33 PM
killrail

Guess I should've added an "lol" at the end of that comment. Thought the smiley was enough for everyone to know I wasn't serious...yet at least, depends on how mad this truck makes me in the future, lol.
I'll probably by a Chiltons or Hanes manual, so I can have it out there with me while working on the truck.
I'm going to check that site out now.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:49 PM
killrail

Guess I should also mention that before I joined this site.
I had Googled multiple terms to try and find out how to adjust the timing.
Examples of the searches I did on Google: "1990 Dodge Dakota timing adjustment", "how to adjust timing on a 3.9L", "how to make adjustments on timing in a 1990 Dakota", etc.
And found no relevant information.
Joined this forum for that and other info.
And now I am having no luck with the http://search.ebscohost.com/ link.
I have so far done a search for:
"1990 dodge dakota how to adjust timing", "1990 dodge dakota timing adjustment".
And it isn't pulling up anything related to that.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not at all familiar with the pre-magnum engines, but the timing is not adjustable on the magnum engines, and I don't see why it would be on the pre-magnums. As far as I'm aware, ever since they stopped using carberators, the computer took over everything. So far, mazda7475 is the only person I've ever heard say the timing is adjustable, so you might want to just wait for him to reply how! There may be a reason as to why you can't find info on it!

Quick Reply: '90 Dakota - problems, can someone help?