1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

couple problems (might need some parts all you part out guys)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple problems (might need some parts all you part out guys)

Ok so i finally got the dak back on the road over 1000 miles and no tranny issues so i consider that official. went and got it inspected today and it barely passed because of tires and a significant smoking problem.

NOW my questions are this.

THe significant amount of smoke is WHITE and i am not losing power or water and no milky oil.now it is very cold here right now so im guessing the smoke looks twice as bad as it really is. it smells like straight gasoline....

So because of that i started tracking the problem.

now when i got the truck it had a timing issue it would miss at a certain rpm always. now to fix that i twisted the distributor and voila no more problem i went ahead and did a full tuneup at that time that was about a year and a half almost 2 years ago.

Now the water pump and coolant temp sensor for the gauge went out about a year ago and i replaced the pump and the sensor and the timing set and all related gaskets at that time. BUT i did not mess with the distributor so im wondering since i put a brand new timing set on if maybe my truck is off timing a bit?

The plugs most likely need to be changed so i went to change them and they are seized but a little pb breaker over night should solve that problem i know they arent cross threaded.

A while back the muffler had rusted in two so i took it to the exhaust shop and he rewelded it he also informed me that my cat is clogged....

My upper control arm bushings are SHOT!!!! on the driver side and i need to fix them but i dont know how the bushings are cheap as hell but i dont know how the hell to replace em

ANd my driver side mirror glass is missing! and the housing is broke so i need a new housing and glass (crome 6x8 or whatever)

SO IN CONCLUSION

I have a 3.9L V6 and it gets 14 mpg on a good perfect day lol and it is smoking straight gasoline and pulls to the left like dale earnhart my problems are listed above and i need to start fixing this **** already its my daily and i would like to get another year or two out of it HELP ME FIX IT GUYS PUHLEASE!! lol

Old 01-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

also what parts should i use for the tuneup?? like brands? i already got the autolite 3923 sittin in the tool box waiting to go in so that isnt an issue but cap rotor plugs?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Black smoke is running rich. Which is burning to much gas.
Yes the autolites are great. Depending on what you can spend. Accell are great too.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

its not black at all its white but im not burning oil or loosing water in any way no water in oil also

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If its white its steam, not exactly smoke. Has to be from water in the block or water in the fuel. Water in the fuel to that degree you would probably know. You're not losing anything from the reservoir?

I just used a summit brand cap and rotor. Happy with it.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:21 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

nope i check the rad level DAILY and its cold as **** here goes away once the truck has ran for a little while it acts like condensation in the muffler and exhaust but ive never seen this much ever from any vehicle

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
89gt308
Professional

have you done a pressure test on the cooling system.

once the plugs are out you can tell how each cylinder is running buy how they look

Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

only smokes when cold btw found that out today

Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM
mazda7475
Veteran

might be able to help you with the dumbo chrome mirrors. i know where theres a pair sitting in a box. depending where you are probably get it for shipping charges from nova scotia.
as for the white smoke in cold weather thats ok as long as you do not have milky oil OR oil in the antifreeze. open your rad cap and see if you got a bunch of pretty colors in the antifreeze.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Wishihadahonda
Professional

its green as can be. and what would the shipping be to 78415 texas

Quick Reply: couple problems (might need some parts all you part out guys)