1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Turn Signal/Hazard flasher problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:41 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal/Hazard flasher problem

Ok, a new weird prob with my 93 Dakota LE 4WD 5.2L V-8. With truck running, right turn signals work but left ones do not...even though the left front bulb and dash light stay on constantly...rear turn signal bulb does not stay on. All bulbs in the left system are good...they get voltage and filaments are sound. When key is in AC position, both left and right turn signals work and flash.
Hazard lights don't work with key off or in AC position. When truck is running and hazard switch is on...lights are on solid, no flashing.
Checked all the fuses...they are good. Replaced the turn signal flasher and hazard flasher relays in the fuse panel. No effect. The hazard fuse in the PDC under the hood is good. I'm thinking multi-function switch...groan, hope I'm wrong, but open to any input from you guys.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

After a lot of poking around today, looking at fuses/relays, etc., I think it may be in the multi-function switch. Now the truck has good turn signals with the switch ON, but truck not running. Soon as I start it up, I get the left front turn signal bulb lit and the left dash turn signal light lit, with no flashing on the left signals. Hazard lamps come on, but never blink. The flashers in the fuse panel are new, fuses good...wish I knew how to pull the shrouds about the column behind the steering wheel. Back to the service manual...

Old 01-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it could be the switch. Wires too. The cover comes off in several pieces. You will need the (safety) torque style wrenches with a hole in the center and a deep reach.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

I'm thinking its the MF switch, if the wires were bad, I wouldn't get any lamps lit. So I need long-reach torx head drivers/wrenches? Is that your recommendation? Where can I get these...need 'em to pull the shroud around the MF switch behind the steering wheel. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM
tmacdakota
Veteran

A set of 4-inch bits of different sizes, types from China (Harbor) Freight did the trick. With the right tool, the shroud came right off and looks like I can do the MF switch without taking any other stuff off. Looks pretty easy to do the ignition switch, too, if I ever need to do that. Watching for the FedEx truck now. I'll post what I find with the old and new MF switch.

Quick Reply: Turn Signal/Hazard flasher problem